oil pressure gauge pegged at 80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
so after using the tahoe to tow my truck i noticed that my oil pressure gauge goes straight to 80 upon starting up and stays there. im assuming that its the oil pressure switch that went bad. from what ive found its located at the back of the intake on top of the engine. looks really hard to get to. anybody replaced theres and have any tips or tricks to get to it? am i gonna have to remove the upper intake manifold to get to it? thanks for any help

Brad.r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so after using the tahoe to tow my truck i noticed that my oil pressure gauge goes straight to 80 upon starting up and stays there. im assuming that its the oil pressure switch that went bad. from what ive found its located at the back of the intake on top of the engine. looks really hard to get to. anybody replaced theres and have any tips or tricks to get to it? am i gonna have to remove the upper intake manifold to get to it? thanks for any help
Make sure you stepper motor has not gone out on your cluster. My RPM and Oil gauge went out about 2 months ago. Pressure went to 25 range and stopped. Replaced stepper and it fixed my problem. Stepper motors will run you about $5-$10 on ebay, they are very difficult to install and I recommed taking it to a shop. I did mine myself, Tool about 3 hours to do them all. Dealer quoted me 550$ and a local shop quoted me 240$....LMK if you have any questions..Dont send me a PM because It wont let me respond to them??

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, it is more or likely the oil pressure sending unit. The same thing happened to mine (pegged to 80 on start up). It's not too bad to replace. All you have to remove is the top engine cover. Make sure you get the socket for it though because a standard socket is too thick to fit in there. You will also need a swivel and extension. It shouldn't take you no more than 10 minutes to complete the whole job.

OP
OP
mazdawg(Mikey)

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
You are correct, it is more or likely the oil pressure sending unit. The same thing happened to mine (pegged to 80 on start up). It's not too bad to replace. All you have to remove is the top engine cover. Make sure you get the socket for it though because a standard socket is too thick to fit in there. You will also need a swivel and extension. It shouldn't take you no more than 10 minutes to complete the whole job.

thanks for the reply. its great to hear from someone thats actually dont it before. so theres a specific socket for it?

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. Yes there is a special socket. Search for "gm oil pressure sending unit socket."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM