Oil pressure drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM parameters are quite large at times.
Yeah, I am thinking the conversation with my service writer at our local dealer (who I dearly love, the guy is super knowledgeable has done me so many good turns), wouldn't be very productive when he looked at my 6 psi hot idle pressure and said, "everything is fine according to the manual"... ;)

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think I should look into replacing the oil pump ASAP or what? Thoughts?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think I should look into replacing the oil pump ASAP or what? Thoughts?

Sorry no, I don't think you need a new pump asap. I was referring to the shop manual spec of 6 psi at idle being within acceptable parameters. The numbers you quoted would be considered no trouble found according to GM. If it were me and it had dropped from where mine sits normally to your numbers, I would want to know why, but my first instinct wouldn't be to change the pump.

I would do exactly what you did and change the sender and screen (or perhaps first check with an analog gauge to verify it was reporting in error). If the sender and screen didn't get things back where they were before, I would probably next move on to testing to see if the o-ring between the pickup tube and pump had aged out and the pump was beginning to suck some air along with oil from the pan.

But in any case, your pressures are fine right now, according to GM.

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t say if I noticed it being any different before. My truck was in the paint shop for a month and getting it back had me monitoring everything closely and noticed it. It may have been this way for a while. Can’t remember. I’ve been more focused on my C6Z.

I’m getting ready for a trip from Al to SC and wanted to address if necessary.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t say if I noticed it being any different before. My truck was in the paint shop for a month and getting it back had me monitoring everything closely and noticed it. It may have been this way for a while. Can’t remember. I’ve been more focused on my C6Z.

I’m getting ready for a trip from Al to SC and wanted to address if necessary.
The shop manual says the minimum pressures for an engine at operating temps are:

6 psig at 1,000 engine RPM
18 psig at 2,000 engine RPM
24 psig at 4,000 engine RPM

Based on what you have observed, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip, but I likely would watch it for trends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65