Oil pressure drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe LT WITH 149k miles. What’s considered quality parts besides OEM? I usually shop at O’Reillys.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BWD parts are good from Orielly.. as are the Standard Ignition Brands
I don't think they sell the "value line" which is a line that does suck

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called tonight and they have the standard brand that comes with the filter. Going to attempt to swap it without removing the intake. Just worried I won’t be able to get the filter out.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called tonight and they have the standard brand that comes with the filter. Going to attempt to swap it without removing the intake. Just worried I won’t be able to get the filter out.
I have posted this clip before, he seems to have a handle on a pretty quick job. Good luck.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it out. Video helped a lot. Doesn’t appear to be clogged though. I’ll swap it all anyway

FWIW, the pressures you report are consider “within acceptable tolerances” according to GM. They seem low to me as my well into six figures mileage wise 5.3L is pretty rock steady well above your numbers. I think if it were me in your shoes, I would be doing exactly what you are doing to try and find the root cause of the results.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 5.3, 136k, starts cold and idles at 48 psi and then after warms up will be rock steady at 40 psi.

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped it out with new sending u it and filter. It did not go over 40 psi on cold start but it did when I rev’d the engine higher. May change the oil again and use a different filter, or maybe just swap the filter

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5.3, 136k, starts cold and idles at 48 psi and then after warms up will be rock steady at 40 psi.

Mine is similar in every respect. The shop manual does give a much wider margin for "acceptable", shockingly low (single digits) for hot idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas