Oil pressure conundrums, oil pressure sending unit filter in NBS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, need some input..

So, I bought my Tahoe at a nice discount due to low oil pressure. Changed out the sending unit, no dice, same exact readings. I scraped around and couldn't find the filter that everyone talks about, so I just assumed the 2003s must not have it or it was previously removed. Took the truck in and got a Melling high pressure/high volume oil pump installed. Figured if the low oil pressure was due to a worn out engine, the new pump could at least help it out enough to get me by until I can afford a 6.0 swap. Got the truck back today, IDENTICAL readings on the gauge, I means 100% identical to the old pump. This confused me a bit, because I figured going from a stock pump to a both HP/HV pump would give at least some type of reading change. Came home and pulled the sending unit again and dug around with a better pick. I could have swore I could feel something other than metal down there, but couldn't get anything to come out. Finally got so pissed cutting up my hands that I said screw it, I'll blow the **** thing out with the oil pressure. Started it without the sending unit just for a second. Oil blew everywhere (I know, stupid idea, but I was stupid mad at this point). As far as I could tell, nothing but oil came out though. So I put the sending unit back in and started the truck back up. No low oil pressure light???? still really low, just enough to not kick the light. Took it for a spin and got on it, oil pressure shot waaay above 40 pounds, probably 60 or 70 (previously, couldn't get it to go above 40, even with the new pump). At idle, it'll drop immediately down to around 20, 25ish, then sloowly bleed back down to the last mark on the gauge, but in the short drive I was out at least, it never kicked the light on the dash. So I guess my immediate question is, do these NBS 5.3s have that stupid filter down that hole or not? If so, I'm going to go ahead and pull the intake manifold and really get down in there and try to fish it out. If not, why would blowing that oil through the hole all of a sudden change the oil pressure readings, more so than getting a brand new racing pump and pickup tube o ring installed???? I'm lost at this point. Everything tells me the engine is shot, but my heart wants to believe that there is still hope. The engine runs amazing, no vibrating, huge amounts of power. It does tick and tap like crazy at start up, but after you get it warmed up and out on the road it completely goes away.

Input???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali