Oil life monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomerc154

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can always reference your owner's manual. Also, you may find a tutorial or two on YouTube....

Cheers!

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fyi............................

Condition/Concern

Since 2010 all GM vehicles have been equipped with the oil life monitor (OLM) system

The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale. Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions

Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:

1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.

Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.

Tacky

Reaction score
Of course. They would like to have your money sooner than later. With 8 quarts of semi-Synthetic, you should be good for 7-8k miles under most conditions! Imagine the lawsuits if the oil life monitor is not reliable and an engine blows because it wasn't changed sooner than indicated on the oil life monitor?

I do not now any dealership technicians who follow the monitor on their own vehicle. I also do not now any dealer technicians who want to change oil, or feels that doing an oil change is anything but a distraction that takes them away from a job they can make money on. The service advisor or serviice manager may look at oil changes as a money maer, the tech sure doesn't.
BTW, I use the monitor on my car, but I change at 50% oil life remaining.

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not now any dealership technicians who follow the monitor on their own vehicle. I also do not now any dealer technicians who want to change oil, or feels that doing an oil change is anything but a distraction that takes them away from a job they can make money on. The service advisor or serviice manager may look at oil changes as a money maer, the tech sure doesn't.
It's rare to find a dealer tech driving a newer vehicle let alone a GM make.

PS - I go 15,000 miles or 1 yr using 100% Synthetic. Have for decades.

Last edited:

Ekim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many dealer techs do you know at all? Change the oil whenever you like. I couldn't care less. My Denali is a low rev vehicle unlike my M3 or Porsche. 8 quartz of semi syn will easily go 7-8k with no issues. I've got 190k miles on my '07 with no issues and the oil is still pretty clean at 5k miles.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched my Denali to Amsoil Synthetic and have gone to the 15,000 or 1 year cycle. I just reset the oil life monitor as needed.