Oil leaking from around my oil filter Valvoline Quick Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Good News!!! Last night I left my truck with my local GMC dealer, and ask them to check out my oil leak from a cold engine. You all are correct, the oil was leaking from the filter, the filter installed by Valvoline. The tech recommended replacing with a GM/Delco filter made specifically for my truck. Picked my truck up tonight with the piece of mind knowing that it is ok. Promised not to ever go back to Valvoline or any other quick lube changing stores again Thank you all for your good advice.. CurtNC

I had a horror story from a quick lube joint (actually, an independently owned, local place, too) and have not been in one since. I can handle climbing under the truck and drinking beer for 1/2 hour every 5000, and feel better knowing EXACTLY what went into /onto my truck by mine own hand.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had a horror story from a quick lube joint (actually, an independently owned, local place, too) and have not been in one since. I can handle climbing under the truck and drinking beer for 1/2 hour every 5000, and feel better knowing EXACTLY what went into /onto my truck by mine own hand.
One of those quick oil change places ruined the drain plug in my work van, it wouldn't come out. I bought another van. Never again!

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good News!!! Last night I left my truck with my local GMC dealer, and ask them to check out my oil leak from a cold engine. You all are correct, the oil was leaking from the filter, the filter installed by Valvoline. The tech recommended replacing with a GM/Delco filter made specifically for my truck. Picked my truck up tonight with the piece of mind knowing that it is ok. Promised not to ever go back to Valvoline or any other quick lube changing stores again Thank you all for your good advice.. CurtNC

I get free oil changes for life at the dealership where I bought my Suburban in 2011......to date, I have yet to use them for any of the changes (80K on the clock).

It only takes 20min to do it yourself.

chevy529

Reaction score
The thing we all sometimes forget is that for some people, it just isn't convenient OR easy to change their own oil. If they live in an apartment or have no tools or knowledge plus no where to get rid of the old oil, then using a quick lube place might be the best solution.

You just have to pay attention to what they are doing. I take my own oil and filter. Make sure I see the old oil and filter. There are good ones and bad ones.

Since I retired it's just easier.

BUT. I've had to threaten court action at one place as the downstairs guy stretched the threads on my drain plug. He rocked the truck trying to loosen it. I jumped out and pointed out he was turning it the wrong way.
Idiot.

Just remember who those people are. Minimum wage jobs. No experience required. Get a cut of all extra parts sold.

My nephew worked at one when he was in high school. The LEAST mechanical male I've ever met. Good guy though.

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend's girlfriend took her SUV to a quick lube shop. After the shop forgot to tighten the drain plug, most of the oil leaked out of her motor! Fortunately she hadn't driven her vehicle long enough to cause serious damage when they discovered the problem.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My friend's girlfriend took her SUV to a quick lube shop. After the shop forgot to tighten the drain plug, most of the oil leaked out of her motor! Fortunately she hadn't driven her vehicle long enough to cause serious damage when they discovered the problem.
No surprise there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667