Oil change. Mileage or life.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sesco4

Reaction score
So do you guys and gals change your oil when you reach a certain mileage or go by the oil life on the info screen.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Oil life monitoring system doesnt actually monitor the oil degradation
information from several sensors through out the drivetrain is ran through a mathmatical algorithm by the PCM to predict when the oil will degrade
the oil life system was geared twords conserving natural resources not the welfare of your engine
me personally i tend not to trust that oil monitor

i prefer to run royal full synthetic and do changes about 3000 miles
wich mite be overkill because the old oil looks almost as good as the new oil

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 3K miles is a bit short, unless you're doing a LOT of short trips, then I'd keep a low interval to get the fuel out of the oil.

The ~3,000 mi. oil change intervals was mainly done back when we had leaded gas. The lead would contaminate and degrade the oil quickly. Since we don't have leaded gas any more (normally), you can increase that interval some safely.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allot of time stuck in traffic change more frequently. Lots of smooth highway runs you can get 7500k with no issues.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go 7500 also. The oil looking good, spark plugs that last 100K+, and higher capacity oil pans all contributed my decision go a little longer.

It didn't seem right because I was raised working on carb'd engines. These things just don't seem to degrade or tear up oil as easily.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I change when oil life says 50%

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
5-7k miles. Mobil 1. She burns a few quarts over that time frame so it's always getting topped off

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im also doing 3K with my wife's yukon, royal purple, she has a 14mi round trip commute.
Im planning on doing 5k on mine w/ RP. 30mi commute.

0 oil consumption from both trucks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wrenchmaster