Oil Additives - Remove Sludge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get you guy's input on what is the most effective additive to remove oil sludge.

I know there is the Seafoam process. I have also heard that the BG EPR additive is effective as well.

Any others you all have good experiences with?

Thanks for the feedback.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 07 started having the lifter tick at about 80k...after some reading about the lifter orfice being somewhat small...i started usuing HotShots Secret, sticktion eliminator.

Works great, no nouse and spotless oil during changes.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have used Kreen and it is really good stuff.

Run in oil for 1000 miles and then change oil and filter.

It is only sold online and you can't buy it in Comiefornia so you know it is good shit.... Lol

It is sold by Kano labs. Google kreen and read some of the reviews.

Also transmission fluid is a great cleaner because of all the detergents... You can substitute 1 quart of trans fluid in place of the oil and it will get a lot of crud out.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not done the others but seafoam has helped mine. Did it at every change for about 2 or 3 changes, by the end my oil was lasing longer and the engine was much quieter.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Kreen and it is really good stuff.

Run in oil for 1000 miles and then change oil and filter.

It is only sold online and you can't buy it in Comiefornia so you know it is good shit.... Lol

It is sold by Kano labs. Google kreen and read some of the reviews.

Also transmission fluid is a great cleaner because of all the detergents... You can substitute 1 quart of trans fluid in place of the oil and it will get a lot of crud out.

Careful with your words, some of us actually like living here. I don't bash your home....

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Careful with your words, some of us actually like living here. I don't bash your home....

It would be OK if you did because I don't get butt hurt over someone's words.... Especially on the internet... Lol

I think California is a beautiful place that has been absolutely ruined by all of the tree huggers and politicians. It is the most **** retentive state in the country bar none. I drive a truck for a living and the 55mph speed limit state wide is ridiculous especially when some of the neighboring states are 75-80 mph. Taxes are astronomical and the state is bankrupt and the gun bans and regulations are atrocious. I am glad you enjoy it, you couldn't pay me to live there. My 2 cents.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The state of the State of California is really off topic. FYI, they fixed their budgetary issues a few years ago.

Back on topic:

I've run seafoam in the oil of a number of engines. I've seen generally good results. "Best" results were from a '93 Jeep YJ w/ 2.5L. I left it in for 50ish city miles. Oil looked brand new for at least the first thousand miles after the change.

BG has solid products, if you can find them. Never had a complaint.

For an engine with AFM or like the oil fired injectors on the powerstroke, I preferred transmission fluid or marvel mystery oil.

Honestly though, there are enough detergents in name brand synthetic oil, just a little slower with less likely hood for issues from chunks of slugde being washed loose. I also noticed that I was less likely to see a difference from an oil additive in an engine that had already run a few oil intervals with synthetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MURDD0CK