OEM MAF size... WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
well... there are two pictures i found today that show what i am looking at.

I just installed an open element CAI system in my truck this afternoon, it is a knock off of the AEM design. However, when i put it all together, i noticed the rubber grommit that seals the tube to the MAF was 3/8" larger then the MAF (or the MAF was 3/8" to small depending on how you want to look at it)

This is the standard 4" tube that everyone has... my MAF (the part that connects to the intake tube) is 3 5/8"... my first question is... is that correct? and it must be so my next question is, did they change the designe somewhere along the way?

there is a picture sephiroth just put up of his recent intake install and it is exactly the same parts and setup i have, only it looks as though his MAF is 4" judging by the picture... Max has a picture of his AEM but his looks like mine, looks like his MAF is 3 5/8"

whats going on here?

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i installed my spectre CAI this morning it came with a rubber spacer that went around the MAF to compensate for the larger diameter of the supplied tube. the spacer was shipped inside the tube that goes from the intake tube to the MAF and i wasn`t aware that it was there until noticed it when i was trying to piece it together. maybe yours is hidden in there as well.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
when i installed my spectre CAI this morning it came with a rubber spacer that went around the MAF to compensate for the larger diameter of the supplied tube. the spacer was shipped inside the tube that goes from the intake tube to the MAF and i wasn`t aware that it was there until noticed it when i was trying to piece it together. maybe yours is hidden in there as well.

no, i inspedted everything quite well, no spacer

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a solution but am interested in the answer.

Man, you are having some major issues with your intakes fitting your truck (tube to TB and now tube to MAF). Sorry and good luck.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yea no shit right! I just cant win, but at the same time sometimes thats what you get when you are trying to save a dollar.

i think i have a solid air tight connection now, but it doesnt seem right to me! the only thing that makes me feel better about it is seeing a few pics of some AEM BF's with what looks like the same issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CurtDawg77

Latest posts