OE Shocks for my 2004 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
I have a used set of rear Nivomat shocks that have a 100,000 miles on them that i will sell if you are interested.
I am interested if they are still good. I will get back to you once I know that my shocks are bad

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can certainly replace the rear shocks with conventional, but will need to replace those rear coil springs at the same time. Here's an example from Rock Auto, where it lists the Bilstein spring, but you're not limited to the Bilstein parts:

1688760637883.png

TIP: To test your Nivomats, measure the rear bumper or hitch height at a given point, and remember that point since you'll need to remeasure later. Write down this measurement.

Then load up several hundred pounds of weight in the back so it sags down a bit, maybe 200-400 pounds of bricks (or a couple big guys or gals...) or whatever. Measure the height again, and write it down. The Nivomats need to "work" to adjust, so take it for a drive for a few blocks, exercising the suspension. Return to the original site and remeasure. If they're working, the Nivomats should have brought up the rear end to near what it was without the weight. There may be a small difference between the first and last measurements, but it shouldn't be a lot.

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
Thanks Fless for the good info on how to test these. I will do that and see how it turns out

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
I recently finished a complete steering and suspension (except springs and torsion bars) restoration on my 2003 Tahoe which has 160 K miles and the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride option. My steering was getting really loose and one of my rear shocks (Nivomats) was leaking. I replaced both with Nivomats (SACHS 030239 @ $280 each). The job totaled $2K for quality parts (mostly Moog) and 5 days in my garage. Let me know if I can help with any information.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
You have the same suspension as I do on my 2001 4WD 5.3. After some research I installed Bilstein B6-4600 front, seems like can’t go wrong with this choice. There are plenty of other good shocks but to maintain stock lift, most enthusiasts would be really happy with Bilstein, unless they hate the baby blue /lemon yellow color. The spec for my front shocks are Bilstein model B6-4600, part number 24-065009.

I considered new rear springs and Bilsteins for the rear, but I’m convinced sticking with the SACHS Nivomat or Genuine GM self leveling test spring/strut combination is the way to go.

I did the front this year (at 170K miles, replacing Monroe’s I put on at 106K miles) but still have the original GM on the back. Will probably replace rear next year. Nivomat are expensive but so is replacing the OEM springs.

Bilstein makes a kit for the rear, below.

How many miles on your truck? What did you decide? Share some pics!
I changed to the Bilstein 4600s front and rear. I also changed the rear springs using the Bilstein springs because I had the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride rear. Best thing I could have done. I have 50K+ on the truck (2005 Yukon XL SLT 5.3 Z) since the change and I love it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I changed to the Bilstein 4600s front and rear. I also changed the rear springs using the Bilstein springs because I had the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride rear. Best thing I could have done. I have 50K+ on the truck (2005 Yukon XL SLT 5.3 Z) since the change and I love it.

And I prefer to keep my Premium Smooth Ride shocks and springs since I tow a camper from time to time. Keeping the self-leveling shocks is why.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
And I prefer to keep my Premium Smooth Ride shocks and springs since I tow a camper from time to time. Keeping the self-leveling shocks is why.
Understood. I only tow a 10X5 utility trailer occasionally. My wife believes that "camping" is staying in a Holiday Inn Express with no room service (lol). In fairness, we're now 71, but we started tent camping in 1971, and had everything from a very used pop-up to a mini motor home over the years. Safe travels to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10