OE Shocks for my 2004 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ueww40

Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing all 4 shocks on my 2004 Tahoe LT, 5.3 ltr engine, RWD. But I would like to stick with the original factory set up. Can anybody tell me the OEM part numbers for the front and rear shocks for my Tahoe. It doesn't have to be the same brand of shocks that the car came with from the factory but they should perform the same as far as ride is concerned but could do better as far as handling is concerned without having to change other things like springs etc.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There were several suspension options on these -- could you post a pic of the RPO codes from the glovebox lid? Or just type up the Gxx and Zxx codes? I think that's what we'd need to see what your OE setup is.

For example, if you have ZW7 and G65, that's the Premium Smooth Ride. If you have a Z71, that's a different set of shocks and springs.

Last edited:

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2001 4WD w ZW7 + G65. The OEM rear shock is SACHS 030239 (Equivalent) or GM Genuine 580354.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can search for OE part numbers at any of the online GM parts places; I used https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/.

Based on the VIN of my '04, here is the OE part number for the Nivomat Premium Smooth Ride rear shocks. If your LT has the two RPO codes I underlined, this would also be applicable to yours:

1688650003017.png

I don't see a GM front shock listed for RWD ("C"). I can recommend a good aftermarket front shock, the KYB Gas-A-Just version. Here's a snip from the KYB catalog (my Premium Smooth Ride suspension got the KG5040s):

1688650453072.png

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
There were several suspension options on these -- could you post a pic of the RPO codes from the glovebox lid? Or just type up the Gxx and Zxx codes? I think that's what we'd need to see what your OE setup is.

For example, if you have ZW7 and G65, that's the Premium Smooth Ride. If you have a Z71, that's a different set of shocks and springs.
I looked at my RPO codes and here are all the codes starting with a G and Z. GU6, G65, ZMJ, ZW7, ZW9, ZY1, Z82

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
Not knowing what I am doing I was looking at these Monroe shocks. Are any of them a good choice? Part #37166, 37178, part #911178, 911166 and part #911505, 911506. If not recommendations are appreciated now that we know what type of suspension my Tahoe has. I am looking at all of these good suggestions above. Now we are making progress, y'all

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
GU6 is the rear diff ratio at 3.42:1.
G65 is for the rear Nivomat shocks, manual self-leveling. Part of the Premium Smooth Ride (ZW7) suspension. That's the rear shock in the first graphic I posted.
ZMJ is for the rear tire size P265/70R16
ZW7 is Premium Smooth Ride, which combines softer rear springs with the self-adjusting rear shocks
ZW9 is the Base Body or Chassis
ZY1 is Solid Color (so your door handles and wheel well moldings are color matched to the body paint)
Z82 is the Trailering Package

I'm not familiar with Monroe's different lines. One may be less quality than another. You'd need to do some research to determine that.

Monroe 37166 and 911166 are NOT for the rear self-leveling suspension
37178 looks right for the front, so does 911178 (but those appear to be different quality lines, it looks like)
911505 and 911506 don't seem to be for the rear self-leveling suspension

In order for you to safely use standard rear shocks (instead of self-leveling Nivomats) the rear coil springs will need to be changed to a stiffer spring.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the same suspension as I do on my 2001 4WD 5.3. After some research I installed Bilstein B6-4600 front, seems like can’t go wrong with this choice. There are plenty of other good shocks but to maintain stock lift, most enthusiasts would be really happy with Bilstein, unless they hate the baby blue /lemon yellow color. The spec for my front shocks are Bilstein model B6-4600, part number 24-065009.

I considered new rear springs and Bilsteins for the rear, but I’m convinced sticking with the SACHS Nivomat or Genuine GM self leveling test spring/strut combination is the way to go.

I did the front this year (at 170K miles, replacing Monroe’s I put on at 106K miles) but still have the original GM on the back. Will probably replace rear next year. Nivomat are expensive but so is replacing the OEM springs.

Bilstein makes a kit for the rear, below.

How many miles on your truck? What did you decide? Share some pics!

Attachments

• 91660A15-9B2A-44B3-86A9-39BDCEBFF12F.jpeg
    91660A15-9B2A-44B3-86A9-39BDCEBFF12F.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 6

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a used set of rear Nivomat shocks that have a 100,000 miles on them that i will sell if you are interested.

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
My Tahoe has almost 160000 miles on it. What started all of this was when I took it to Firestone for a complete front end inspection, because I felt that the car was tracking badly. On the freeway it was wandering more than I thought was normal. They said that the PS steering box and pitman arm needed replacing, as well as he sway bar links and the shocks. I don't know if this was a guessed fix for all solution but I watched them and they really did a thorough inspection using 2 guys. But since I never had any ride problems except for the bad tracking at higher speeds, I wasn't about to go ahead with the repairs until I crawled under that car and checked these items myself, which I haven't done yet. Therefore my shocks may or may not be bad, but in case they are I am learning and informing myself so I can replace them myself. When I saw their estimate I was shocked how expensive they were and I immediately thought "rip off". Thanks to Fless (he must have a PhD in GMC) I know now that there is a lot more science to this suspension stuff than just slapping on a set of shocks just because it says they are a perfect fit for my 2004 Tahoe. And I also realize now that these buggers are NOT cheap. Thanks y'all for now for all the good info. I keep you posted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo