Odd HID flicker issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back story.

installed the depo projectors and a xentec 5000k 35w HID kit from amazon. long story short, they sent me the wrong bulbs twice, once a different socket all together the second time the wrong color. so i ended up using annother set of 5000k bulbs i had from a kit i ordered for my Lexus with the same socket.

when i installed i noticed it didnt fire up everytime and it had a slight flicker if it did so i picked up a HID relay harness from the ebay thats actually quite good as far as quality goes. i have had multiples of these harnesses from different vendors and this was by far the nicest. nice guage wire, loomed well, great positioning for the relay/fuse and ground/hot wires. overall very good.

so on to the flicker.

so anyway i noticed that the drivers side bulb was flickering as if the entire bulb wasnt being fired off. i got aggitated since this is problem number 5 for this xentec kit and i ordered a trusty DDM kit. i have DDM in all my other vehicles and for whatever reason i decided to try xentec on the truck since the ballasts are working great in my fiances gto since i had to quickly replace a failed DDM ballast.

here is a video i took of it with the xentec kit.

[yt]f09zLKJLgaE[/yt]

the problem was exaggerated on the DDM kit to the point where the light would turn on and off 3-5 times and then just shut completely off. i thought maybe it was a problem solved with a load resistor and put one inline between the stock wiring and the relay harness but it made no difference. so since i have to go to work today, i swapped back to the xentec kit and recorded this video.

i tried to throw it on before work but running into this snag meant i had to hold off.

my thoughts on troubleshooting are, test the voltage coming off the relay harness and make sure its a steady 12-13v if thats faultering, ill replace the relay and try again.

has anyone else had this problem? if so how did you fix it? thanks

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the relay harness have one ground ring or one at each plug end. If two bad ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely grounding to the chassis not motor is a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well grounding to the chassis fixed the flicker. Thanks for that!

But the ddm ballasts both don't work. Going to rma those tomorrow. I'm using the new bulbs with some older ddm ballasts I had laying around. Working great.

foxtrot moon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Came here to mention grounding to the chassis lol, I work in a shop and we deal with vehicle electrics more than anything, "Oh you have HID flicker? We can fix that..."

65$ later we've cleaned up the wiring, shortened it so it's not a crow's nest, and changed the ground. Amazing what some time will do!

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp seems to be even more of an issue.

After fixing the grounding my fiancé was driving it the other day and no headlights. He to drive home with either high beams or fogs only.

After som testing the overlay harness is only putting out 10.5v to the ballasts and obviously not firing them off. Switched relays, fuses, grounds three times and even reconnected it to the positive terminal on the battery and couldn't get it to output more than 10.5. My guess is all this issue was caused by a faulty harness ordered a different one from another vendor and going to install it. I'll update the thread once I've got it figured out.

Been a pain in the ass so far.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Last edited:

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After dealing with a few HID issues, I'd recommend the harness and making absolutely sure you have a good ground. My driver's side light wouldn't even come on last week. Tracked it down the the ballast only getting about 2v from the harness. Ended up being a grounding issue. Se-seated the grounding ring, and all's good now.

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new relay harness fixed my issues.

both fire off first time everytime. even those two DDM ballasts that i thought were defective work great with this new harness.

hopefully thats the last i have to screw with it.

now to get the depo shake to be tamed haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper