OBDLink MX Bluetooth - I need your help testing something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I have one of the wifi units set up with a galaxy s9. The intent here was to sync it with android auto so I can have live data displayed through my head unit.

Here's my issue: I have no internet connection when the obd module is connected. I tried to go through the setup guide to set the thing up to use my phone as a hotspot and communicate that way, but I can't get any communication with either the bundled app, or torque pro. Furthermore, if I could get it to work, then I have the issue where I wouldn't be able to get my phone to automatically switch to hotspot mode when plug in my phone and let android auto self-launch. I tried a bunch of apps to get the functionality, the tl;dr is I need a root on my phone to do so and there doesn't yet exist a way to do that.

So I'm more or less back to the drawing board on this one. Android Auto needs its own bluetooth connection for hands free protocols. So the question here is if I could I have both of these connected at the same time?

Do any y'all have one of the bluetooth units and an android auto head unit you could connect up and see if you can get torque or something to work at the same time as AA? That would be a huge help for me :)

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive seen a guy on another forum that did a droid HU, then ran the t app through it, and had internet, no clue on the web service or how he pulled that off. but i was rather impressed with its capability's.

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the obd link mx bluetooth for coding ford trucks. Use it occasionally to monitor stuff on the burb

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
android auto only allows apps that work with android auto to run, so unless torque gets onboard with google I think your going to be out of luck, your only other option is going to be to mirror your phone to the headunit by hmdi etc without android auto running, you can do that with a adapter like a miracast or chromecast or others unless you have one of the latest decks that do wireless mirroring but that might not work if the bt obd requires the same connection, so your other options are a app called pdanet and a laptop with a internet connection.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
android auto only allows apps that work with android auto to run, so unless torque gets onboard with google I think your going to be out of luck, your only other option is going to be to mirror your phone to the headunit by hmdi etc without android auto running, you can do that with a adapter like a miracast or chromecast or others unless you have one of the latest decks that do wireless mirroring but that might not work if the bt obd requires the same connection, so your other options are a app called pdanet and a laptop with a internet connection.
I have the rest of the display bits figured out. It displays gauges of whatever I want in its own screen. I'm more trying to figure out the other connectivity bits so I have a better AA experience as opposed to only using it as a digital cluster :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnbri512