o2/ exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stereodesigner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty this isnt your typical cat/o2 question
i know what each o2 does and i know what the purpose of a cat is

Anywho weve got a 96 5.7 vortec were gonna take the cats off (please dont start that conversation lol :upyours: ) weve got a blackbear tune and in the tune we had the rear o2 sensors disabled.

Was 1 minute away from cutting the cats off and our exhaust guy said not to do it because even though the rear o2 sensors are off he said the front (upstream) sensors can tell if there is a cat there or not and will try to correct the air/fuel mixture...

He is a older guy that deals more with older carburated cars but does excellent exhaust work but is he right???

We were under the impression that if we had the rear o2s turned off it wouldnt be able to tell if the cats were there or not
:lazer:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it won't be able to tell. Removing the cats is stupid though. :lol:

Mike_L

Banned
Reaction score
Very stupid. No power gains, and on some vehicles you'll lose power. Not to mention being illegal and having the chance of having your truck impounded.

OP
OP
stereodesigner

stereodesigner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are clogged .....
Thought I said its not a discussion lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Mike_L

Banned
Reaction score
Put in a set of high flows. Flow just as well as straight pipes, and stay legal.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
After you fix the clogging issues first. And your mech is mistaken however while it may not be a discussion it is a federal epa law violation and if caught you are in deep doo doo.

wma4553

Reaction score
Do all you people work for the EPA? The man asked a simple question and requested a simple answer without all the preaching. I have seen several people ask questions about deleting cats and they usually get more scolding than answers. You are not enlightening anyone, I think most of us are aware that internal combustion engines are not good for the environment, and that it is illegal to mess with the cats. If you feel the need to discuss the + or - of cats start a new thread.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Actually i think we enlightened him quite well thank you very much. and i feel your need to discuss weather or not we create another thread about the discussion should really be discussed in a new thread about said topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy