Nv4500 going into 99 2 door Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I am ready to do my Nv4500 Swap. I have a complete 96 NV4500 with the matching transfer case and yokes to adapt to my drive lines. I have a clutch pedal assembly ready to be bolted in as well. The rest of the parts will be sourced new from rock auto.

I know that if I remove the gear selector from side of my automatic transmission and leave it plugged in (in the park position) then I will be able to operate the vehicle. My problem is that the ECM will throw codes for the automatic trans. I can't pass smog inspection if the check engine light is on or has been disabled.

I have talked to a couple people who have done the swap on 96+ gm vehicles but I haven't found anyone who lives in a smog inspection area.

My Tahoe came stock with the manual shift transfer case so I am not worried about that.

My question is: can the codes thrown for the automatic trans be tuned out?
I believe that it is going to throw a transmission slip code, but what other codes will it throw?

Sunlitcomet, can you shed any light on my situation?
Thank you,
Kyle

Attachments

• Nv4500.jpg
    Nv4500.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Nv45002.jpg
    Nv45002.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 71

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
for a 99 they should be able to be tuned out or just swap out the pcm for a manual tranny one if available. Black bear would know for sure how to disable it I think if you don't have the knowledge or software to do it. In fact get a tune while you are at it. It will throw all kind of solenoid codes as well.

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sunlit,
Do you think that the solenoid codes can be tuned out as well?
I'm guessing that the best route would be to install the manual trans and drive it long enough to get all of the codes to pop up. Then send the ecm to black bear to have those particular codes disabled? I don't know anything about the ecm tuning; but is it really that easy? Would having the transmission codes disabled/ removed cause it to fail smog inspection?

I have an email into Justin @ black bear but i haven't heard anything back yet.
I just don't want to create a monster that I cant get to pass smog.
Thank you,
Kyle

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
smog will not be an issue as long as the inspection computer "see's" a manual tranny setup with no active auto tranny search going on. In a pcm when it is specified as a manual codes should be disabled and certain pins become inactive. transmission type is choosable under the same pcm. Just wait for justin he will give you the details on what you can do. there is also a 0411 pcm swap that could be done and there is a manul tranny profile available for loading into it. and it offers better tunability.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

the swap would cost about $150 and a few hours of re pinning wires.

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,
I picked up the transmission over the weekend and the pedal assembly is being pulled as we speak. The transfer case that came with the transmission is a Borg Warner 4401. After a quick search it appears that the front yoke on the transfer case uses the same U joint as the 241. Hopefully I will be able to get the pedals in this week so the manual can go in over the next couple weekends. Here are a couple pics of the trans and the PTO. I will probably remove the PTO and replace it with a stock cover.

Attachments

• Nv4500.jpg
    Nv4500.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 49
  • PTO.jpg
    PTO.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 47

96GMCYukonGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey im looking into doing this aswell does the manual have to be from a 96+ if in=m putting it in a 96?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
not really if it is the same length has same bell housing pattern year should not matter. Although 98-newer may have a difference in wiring for nuetral/backup switch.

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the NV4500 all cleaned up and it looks like a winner! Super clean inside; no brass in the oil or chipped teeth. The 5th gear nut was nice and snug as well. I was going to rebuild the unit before I installed it however this one seems to be good enough that I will wait. A full rebuild will be in order when the ZZ4 crate engine goes in down the road. I Removed the top cover to inspect all the syncros and gears, removed the PTO, picked up a second PTO cover/ gaskets and rinsed out the case.
Also, I got the pedal cleaned up and painted.
From Napa I picked up a Clutch Safety Switch and Master Cylinder so that I can get the pedal all mounted up before I pull the Automatic out.

Attachments

• NV45003.jpg
    NV45003.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 47
  • NV4500 Pedal.jpg
    NV4500 Pedal.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 47

96GMCYukonGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a difference between the 2wd and the 4wd nv4500? or can i just unblot the tailstock off the 2wd and bolt on my transfer case as long as the splines are right? cause i can find lots of ones from 2wd but yet to find a 4wd setup

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
2wd will have longer and different tail adapter and most likely a shaft extension of some sorts. if you can get the parts it should convert with no issues. Just in case if I missed what you meant you can not take the auto tranny adapter and put it on a manual unit. you must use the manual tranny adapter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamrash