Not that anyone cares...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bauer4567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone replace the rear U joint on one of your NNBS yet?

ujoint.jpg

Changed mine today, ran into a small problem. Ya know how the factory U joints use the injection molded plastic in place of a retaining clip? Well when ya put the new U joint in place, there was not enough space for both retaining clips without putting too much pressure on the bearings. Anyway, some time with the file removing road dirt, then rust, then a little bit of metal (just the inside edges of the "driveshaft uprights" which accept the U joint to a fresh finish... This opened up just enough room to get that clip on. No more noises from under my rear end anymore!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bauer4567

bauer4567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I could get any support from Gm customer service on this minor issue I had.

Does anyone know someone who might be able to look up some information about my U joint based on my VIN number? Or do you think it would be wise to have a dealer look into the issue some more??

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I could get any support from Gm customer service on this minor issue I had.

Does anyone know someone who might be able to look up some information about my U joint based on my VIN number? Or do you think it would be wise to have a dealer look into the issue some more??

:lol: R I G H T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdellose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Dan... I don't need this yet, but I'm sure this will help someone

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need no stinkin' retaining clips.

Duct tape will work fine!
:party33:

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I care, and I don't care how old this thread is. :)

Annoying squeak from the rear while moving. Thought for sure it was a brake or ebrake problem. It was not. My buddy said rear drive shaft and he was right. Sprayed some pb blaster and it went quiet for a few days. Now it is back so I guess I need to replace ujoint. Do most people just replace the whole driveshaft?

Thanks

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So not that anyone else cares ;) but I replaced my ujoint today. I can confirm the PO statement about the tight fit. I didn't want to modify the DS yoke so I just ground down one of the clips so I could get it in without too much preload. It is tight but hopefully it will give me many years.

There was one cap that was completely seized to the trunion. No bearings left inside. What a pain that was. Annoying squeak is gone though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bleachii