Noise after differential fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys we have a 2007 LT 4WD and after I changed the front and rear differential fluid the Tahoe has a whine only when cold. After it's driven for a few miles it goes away. Noise is speed dependent and almost sounds like when you drive a manual trans in reverse. Like that high pitched siren whine.
I put Lucas synthetic 75-90 in both differentials, which I don't believe has limited slip additive - not even sure if we need limited slip additive in the rear diff on these vehicles..?
I also found out after the fact that the front diff is supposed to have 80-90 GL5.
What do you guys suggest? Would the 75-90 synthetic screw up the front diff? Does the rear diff require limited slip additive?
Please advise.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would change out the front diff to 80-90 GL5 so I have piece of mind. If it needed limited slip additive, it would be grabby around corners. Did you double check to make sure the fluid is full?

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would change out the front diff to 80-90 GL5 so I have piece of mind. If it needed limited slip additive, it would be grabby around corners. Did you double check to make sure the fluid is full?

They’re definitely full. I’ll get some 80-90 GL5 and see if that fixes it. Hopefully the 75-90 synthetic didn’t do any long term damage

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re definitely full. I’ll get some 80-90 GL5 and see if that fixes it. Hopefully the 75-90 synthetic didn’t do any long term damage

Shouldn't be a problem having the 75W90 up front, lots of guys do it without issue. Could the noise be the transfer case? Now that you've put fresh fluids in your differentials, it may have quieted them down so now you hear the TC.

If you want to compare your noises to mine let me know, haven't run mine today.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem having the 75W90 up front, lots of guys do it without issue. Could the noise be the transfer case? Now that you've put fresh fluids in your differentials, it may have quieted them down so now you hear the TC.

If you want to compare your noises to mine let me know, haven't run mine today.

There’s definitely something going on. This noise is new and started after changing the diff fluid. One thing after another man..

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my toyota sequoia, it REALLY didnt like synthetic fluid. I put lucas in there, and I didnt have any problems that I know of. That said, when I did the burb, I used valvoline synth with the limited slip additive.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my toyota sequoia, it REALLY didnt like synthetic fluid. I put lucas in there, and I didnt have any problems that I know of. That said, when I did the burb, I used valvoline synth with the limited slip additive.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbrown415