No wipers, windows or stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Needmoremoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found this year old thread.....http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60881.....but no answers. I'm sure it's a 'look for a needle in the haystack' issue, but figure i'll ask 'cuz maybe somebody else has had the same issue?
Over last year, maybe 5 or 6 times, stereo would go completely out (no lites). At the same time, the Drivers side window controls would not open or close any of the 4 windows. And, the windshield wipers wont work. After anywhere from 5 seconds to maybe 30 seconds, everything would return to normal. For months, before happening again. Several days ago it happened, with window down & rain coming of course. It would NOT return to normal all day. I yelled & screamed & kicked & nothing happened. Got home from work in drizzle, opened door & stereo turned on. I touched window control & everything went out again. More kicking, drive around block & stereo popped on, touched window switch & all out again. After going thru this a dozen times, window went up so i left it. Yesterday it happened 5 or 6 times, but always restored. Today-nothing, again all day. Got home & same scenario with touching window & power going out.
The only troubleshooting i did was to try passenger side window switch & after 25 or 30 tries, it did not seem to affect anything. Driver side window switch did seem to cuz power to go out to those 3 items at least 75% of the time. I looked at boot in drivers door where wires go thru from door to frame-boot is fine.
So my question-any idea what & where to search? ALL 3, windows, wipers & stereo go out together, every time. & come on together, every time. Even taking stereo out of the equation(because its aftermarket, but in truck when i bought it over a year ago, & i dont know how its wired)-the windows & wipers on the same power circuit, but NOTHING else? (Except stereo). I would THINK stereo wiring COULD be the cause, but back to wipers & windows on same circuit, but nothing else, so-any ideas where to start looking?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
with key in on and acc positions look for system voltage on the brown output wire of the ignition switch. same again when you turn off the key but before you open any doors. that will be your primary concern right now. i assume hvac, 4wd, brakes, cruise, etc still work?

OP
OP
Needmoremoney

Needmoremoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As an FYI, yesterday, it never cut out once. This morning, started truck-fine. Shut off, started up-fine, stereo went out & 20 miles of driving, its still off.
Where am i finding brown output wire of ignition? Do i have to remove all the trim pieces from around column, or is it under dash/fuse box or somewhere else accessible?
Yes, only stereo, wipers & windows go out.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
remove cover from bottom of steering column to see the huge harness from column. it runs into a big connector under the dash. it will be the biggest brown wire going to that connector. Cavity D6.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz