No Transmission Service or Tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Ruikee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, the tranny finally let go around 205k miles. Started slipping 2 days in a row then wouldnt move. Had it rebuilt for 4500 with a 2 year 24k mile warranty. Upgraded torque convertor etc. Should be golden for a bit

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything you say is counter intuitive to common sense. I tow, I haven't serviced it in 140k miles (or 200k possibly), the fluid looks good and isn't burnt, still gets good fuel economy, etc. Did you buy this as a throw away? Newer vehicles are way more forgiving for sure, almost to their own detriment sometimes.

Maybe you weren't schooled in proper maintenance and are now learning. If that's the case, I sincerely apologize and would love to help.

Plugs and wire are LONG overdue. Good luck getting them out. The wires are most likely baked to the plug porcelain by now, so buy new AC Delco wires because they will be destroyed by the time you get them off. You'll have some cat scratches for sure after trying to get all 8 off.

Brush it's teeth (clean the throttle body), and maybe another air filter. Although that seems to be something you did.

Service the front and rear diffentials. Service the t-case. I would advise doing them twice in close succession due the new fluid washing them clean and then they will look old and decrepit again, especially the front diff.

Transmissions aren't like the old ones. I see what the shop is saying from a risk of a pissed of customer standpoint if something goes wrong after the fact. The fact that the trans has some hiccups occasionally leads me to 2 scenarios: 1) leave it neglected and drive until failure. You've gotten undue success, so ride it out and replace when it fails if the rest of the truck is still worth anything. 2) service it like stated above with a fluid and filter change. When you drop the pan, you'll know in short order where you're at as far as condition. You may luck out and get more useful life.

I've seen neglected transmissions be fine after a service and continue on for many more miles, but with regular maintenance afterwards.

FLUIDS AND FILTERS ARE YOUR CHEAPEST INSURANCE AGAINST A FAILURE.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Everything you say is counter intuitive to common sense. I tow, I haven't serviced it in 140k miles (or 200k possibly), the fluid looks good and isn't burnt, still gets good fuel economy, etc. Did you buy this as a throw away? Newer vehicles are way more forgiving for sure, almost to their own detriment sometimes.

Maybe you weren't schooled in proper maintenance and are now learning. If that's the case, I sincerely apologize and would love to help.

Plugs and wire are LONG overdue. Good luck getting them out. The wires are most likely baked to the plug porcelain by now, so buy new AC Delco wires because they will be destroyed by the time you get them off. You'll have some cat scratches for sure after trying to get all 8 off.

Brush it's teeth (clean the throttle body), and maybe another air filter. Although that seems to be something you did.

Service the front and rear diffentials. Service the t-case. I would advise doing them twice in close succession due the new fluid washing them clean and then they will look old and decrepit again, especially the front diff.

Transmissions aren't like the old ones. I see what the shop is saying from a risk of a pissed of customer standpoint if something goes wrong after the fact. The fact that the trans has some hiccups occasionally leads me to 2 scenarios: 1) leave it neglected and drive until failure. You've gotten undue success, so ride it out and replace when it fails if the rest of the truck is still worth anything. 2) service it like stated above with a fluid and filter change. When you drop the pan, you'll know in short order where you're at as far as condition. You may luck out and get more useful life.

I've seen neglected transmissions be fine after a service and continue on for many more miles, but with regular maintenance afterwards.

In my signature is a phrase my dad taught me when he was showing me how to MAINTAIN vehicles and the value of maintenance. It basically breaks down to, "with maintenance, you know the cost ahead of time and with breakdowns, you do not". When I got my 05 Z71, I went thru it front to back. I got it all to a baseline and as I went on I did address things that I knew would cause me problems eventually and since I had the money and time, I did the work with quality components. My recent 5500 mile trip, I feel, is a testament to all the work I did in advance. Never once, over all that mileage, did I worry about my rig's performance. Some of the posts/threads I read here have self inflicted wounds because of lack of maintenance and pushing the envelope and just plain forgetfulness and band aid parts and efforts. The reason I never ever recommend extended warranties, is that I always recommend that any vehicle owner should have a weekly contributed to fund for their vehicles. For maintenance and repair expenses. The vehicle is a very large investment and the fund is to help protect that investment. I know that when I ran shops, at times, I was wasting my breath but I did it anyway because I always felt I had to try.

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t change the fluid in the trans till it needs a rebuild… 04 Denali went at 375k 4L60 og trans corvette servo, 1990 suburban 2500 4x4 th400 trans with shift kit went at 290k…. Current suburban 2019 4x4 77K BB trans tune shift like new still (waiting for it to go so I can build it up)…. To each their own but gm knows how to build a trans except for the 8L90 haha…. Biggest thing is don’t overload or overheat the trans and you’ll be fine. Put a cooler and shift kit if possible.

OP
OP
R

Ruikee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Agreed! i used to drive old trannys forever and never failed. I took it to a few shops and the best in the state told me at that point, drive it til it fails. which I did and got another 30k miles out of it. Plugs and wires came out very easy, maybe because they had the heat shields on them? And yes, i probably got way longer than I should have hauling a boat etc. The vehicle is in immaculate condition otherwise interior and exterior. Should be good now for a while, thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instigator01