No Heat in Back!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdavis61

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 06' Tahoe Z-71 and I am getting heat in the front but, unfortunately no heat in the back on any option. This is a problem because I live in CO and because I have the biggest car I usually drive when my friends and I go out to lunch. Will someone help me? Thanks!

cadesertjp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe with the same problem anyone know what the fix is ?
Thanks
Chris

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just blowing cold air, or is it just not functioning period? Mine would only blow cold air but all my functions worked like floor to overhead and speed. I was just not getting it to produce any heat.

I actually tore into it last night and got it to blow heat once again. My problem was the switch that turns it from hot to cold, I believe it's called the blend door actuator. All I did was pulled the interior pieces off the rear passenger cargo area out. Once I did that I located the one that controls the hot/cold which was the one located in the center of the unit. They should have an aluminum/metal round piece sticking out of them which i believe is the switch. Mine would not turn when I switched from hot to cold or visa versa. I tried to use a large flathead to manually turn it with no luck. So I just disconnected the harness and removed the unit. It's held on by 3 hex head bolt, then you can just pull it straight off. Once removed, you will see where it's supposed to turn with the switch, I just turned it using my finger and it started blowing hot air :) I ended up opening the unit and turning it manually to realign with with the new position of the switch. I haven't looked into what a new actuator will run but, I'm just happy to have heat back there again and so are my kids ;) lol. Hope this helped.

Last edited:

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My system works but blowing cold air, so is the fix the actuator ?

I believe this could be your issue. Like i said above, my rear system would only blow cold air. It did not get any warmer whether i used the overhead or rear controls, just was always cold air. After doing some research I guess these trucks are known to do this. If this isnt your exact problem, it's definitley a good place to start. It only took me about 30 min to pull everything then reassemble it.

davidsSLT

Reaction score
Thanks man, yea mine was only blowing cold air out back, even though my front air was hot.
1 thing though, my controls are in the front on top by the sunroof on my 03 yukon. Those are the only controls for the rear air right? If so is that where I gain access like you did to the blend door actuator?

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, yea mine was only blowing cold air out back, even though my front air was hot.
1 thing though, my controls are in the front on top by the sunroof on my 03 yukon. Those are the only controls for the rear air right? If so is that where I gain access like you did to the blend door actuator?

In my Denali I have two ways to control the rear heat. My overhead panel like you have up by the sunroof and a rear control for the rear passengers located on the back of the center console (not sure if the regular yukon is equipped with this). The actuator I needed to replace (which sounds like the one you need as well) is located in the rear cargo area on the passenger side. You have to remove the rear pillar trim, the trim where the seat belt is and the main wheel well cover. Once open you will see 2 actuators, it's the one in the middle of the whole heater unit. Ill try and dig up a pic I saw on here to give you a better visual. There is also a relearn process ill post as well.

Last edited:

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the pic of the rear heater. Number 1 is the actuator that was causing mine to constantly run cold. Again I just removed the 3 screws holding it on and manually turned the knob with my hand.

5uryzeqa.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358968420.247951.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358968420.247951.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada