no crank no start intermittent problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah mine has 4 of the same type of relays....on the inside of the top of the fuse box is a schematic sp? that will tell you which is the ignition relay

rickp

Reaction score
Yeah mine has 4 of the same type of relays....on the inside of the top of the fuse box is a schematic sp? that will tell you which is the ignition relay

Thanks again.

rickp

Reaction score
Hey DND,
The dealer said there's more than one of those relays in the fuse box so I'll have to track down the one for the ingnition. I think that's a good idea how you did it.

Also, thanks for that security light info, I did not know that and the dealer never said anything. That should pretty much nail the issue to the relay. Either way I'll make sure to post an update to future readers.

Again thanks a lot this has really helped. I had all kinds of bad thoughts going through my head followed by $$$ signs!!!

Quick update. This morning the truck failed to cranck over like normal, so I replaced the Ignition relay and nothing. I also changed out the starter relay and nothing. SO I think the issue is in the ignition. I'm not sure if its the passlock. I need to stop by the dealer and ask about how much it is to get that fixed. Or if it something I can do. I think The whole ignition tumbler system needs to be pulled but again I'll confirm with the dealer.
Damn, I was hoping it was an easy fix like the realy.

Last edited:

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter itself maybe?

My 05 Escalade left me stranded 60 miles from home Friday night. I think I had an internal short in the starter though. About 20 minutes of trying without even a click from the solenoid and it killed my battery.

I had it towed to a garage, got a rental car, and went back for it the next day. The garage couldn't find anything wrong except I blew a 40A fuse labeled, 'IGN' instead of Starter. Only replacing the fuse and it started right up. The shop cycled the ignition and started the engine a couple dozen times over the next 2 hours before having me pick it up.

Before Friday it started acting as you described.

I ended up replacing the starter Sunday and it's been fine since.

rickp

Reaction score
Starter itself maybe?

My 05 Escalade left me stranded 60 miles from home Friday night. I think I had an internal short in the starter though. About 20 minutes of trying without even a click from the solenoid and it killed my battery.

I had it towed to a garage, got a rental car, and went back for it the next day. The garage couldn't find anything wrong except I blew a 40A fuse labeled, 'IGN' instead of Starter. Only replacing the fuse and it started right up. The shop cycled the ignition and started the engine a couple dozen times over the next 2 hours before having me pick it up.

Before Friday it started acting as you described.

I ended up replacing the starter Sunday and it's been fine since.

Thank for the info brother.
Let me ask you, did you get a click when you turned the key? Thats all I get. I did replace the IGN relay in the fuze box under the hood and nothing.
Today I just kept trying to start the truck and after about 6 tries in fast motion, it crancked right up.
So in your case it was the starter. If you dont mind me asking what did it cost you to replace it? Is it something I can do?

Thanks

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank for the info brother.
Let me ask you, did you get a click when you turned the key? Thats all I get. I did replace the IGN relay in the fuze box under the hood and nothing.
Today I just kept trying to start the truck and after about 6 tries in fast motion, it crancked right up.
So in your case it was the starter. If you dont mind me asking what did it cost you to replace it? Is it something I can do?

Thanks

In the beginning I got a click until the starter blew one of the fuses labeled IGN, then nothing. I don't know the exact failure mode but I'm assuming a short considering how fast it killed the battery without turning the starter/engine over along with the fact that it also blew a 40A fuse. If you have a click and no starter turning the engine over then it is most likely the starter. The starter draws power from a large separate feed so it sounds like the solenoid is doing it's job.

The starter isn't too bad to change but it is somewhat pricey compared to other starters I've bought over the years. It's a small and lightweight unit surprisingly for a V8, but it works.

You're in luck if you have an Advance Auto nearby, that's where I bought mine conincidentally. I was just on the site today and they have a 20% off coupon on orders over $100 (the Remy starter is $192 new not a rebuilt unit), and a $50 coupon off your next $100 order. They do this quite frequently so I end up getting most of my parts there. It helps since I maintain 5 vehicles and wind up with the $50 coupons about once a month.

The starter box was labeled, 'Toughone' but the folks in the store showed me the Delco/Remy stamped into the housing so I'm fairly confident it is in fact a Delco unit since it's new and not a rebuild. With things like starters and alternators which can easily leave you stranded I only buy OEM. As a poor kid starting out I've changed out too many lifetime warranty store brand parts year after year to realize going cheap costs more in the end with towing bills, lost time from work, and my labor of doing the same job over and over.

rickp

Reaction score
In the beginning I got a click until the starter blew one of the fuses labeled IGN, then nothing. I don't know the exact failure mode but I'm assuming a short considering how fast it killed the battery without turning the starter/engine over along with the fact that it also blew a 40A fuse. If you have a click and no starter turning the engine over then it is most likely the starter. The starter draws power from a large separate feed so it sounds like the solenoid is doing it's job.

The starter isn't too bad to change but it is somewhat pricey compared to other starters I've bought over the years. It's a small and lightweight unit surprisingly for a V8, but it works.

You're in luck if you have an Advance Auto nearby, that's where I bought mine conincidentally. I was just on the site today and they have a 20% off coupon on orders over $100 (the Remy starter is $192 new not a rebuilt unit), and a $50 coupon off your next $100 order. They do this quite frequently so I end up getting most of my parts there. It helps since I maintain 5 vehicles and wind up with the $50 coupons about once a month.

The starter box was labeled, 'Toughone' but the folks in the store showed me the Delco/Remy stamped into the housing so I'm fairly confident it is in fact a Delco unit since it's new and not a rebuild. With things like starters and alternators which can easily leave you stranded I only buy OEM. As a poor kid starting out I've changed out too many lifetime warranty store brand parts year after year to realize going cheap costs more in the end with towing bills, lost time from work, and my labor of doing the same job over and over.

thank you for the info..

Well did some more research and it might be the starter solenoid. It might not be sending enough juice to cranck the starter.

I really hope this is it.

Last edited:

slicksdude

Reaction score
How's it going guys I have the same issue. Question: how do I test to make sure it's not a fuse.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tahoe would do that it i would run a couple errands and itll start no problem several times then like ill stop at the gas station and nothing i finally figured out that it was a lose ground and im not talkin loose loose im talkin like the battery terminal was like a teency teency bit loose

Jay_320

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. My truck does the same thing but it will start with my remote start with no problems. I replace the starter last winter. Should I be looking at the ignition switch? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmstar

Latest posts