NNBS Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anonymous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Perfect...that's what I needed to know. Thanks. Having this done next week. Just realized that my spare wheel is 16" vs the 17" wheels that are on all four corners. Guess I'm buying a matching wheel and tire. I'm glad I learned that instead of at an in opportune time...LOL

Remember, you want just the FRONT brakes. The rear disks on NNBS are much thinner and only marginally larger diameter. Thinner means less heat tolerant. Not worth doing the rears, just the front.

You will need 17" wheels for the NNBS fronts, but even if you forgot the spare and had a flat on the front, 16" will still fit on the rear, so you would have to swap spare to rear and rear to front. You'd get home, but it would be on the bonus tire change plan.

OP
OP
D

dcwhybrew

Reaction score
Well, I had the GMT900 (AKA NNBS) brake upgrade done today. Honestly, I can't tell a big difference. I do have drilled and slotted rotors. I also bought another matching 17" alloy wheel and matching 265/70-17 Michelin LTX MS2. I didn't realize there were 17" steel OEM wheels until after I bought the alloy wheel. So if you do this "upgrade", just buy the 17" steel OEM wheel. However, as I stated, I'm not sure there's a noticeable difference with this brake swap. I'd suggest anyone contemplating this just go over their brake components and make sure they're all in good shape and the fluid doesn't need to be changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Anonymous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you bed in the brakes? What brand rotors and pads did you get? If you didn't bed the brakes, you won't get better performance, and it could be worse until they bed in.

OP
OP
D

dcwhybrew

Reaction score
Did you bed in the brakes? What brand rotors and pads did you get? If you didn't bed the brakes, you won't get better performance, and it could be worse until they bed in.

What do you mean by "bed in the brakes"? I didn't install them. I had the local tire store do the install.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to find out what pads he installed and follow the procedure recommended by that manufacturer. It is basically a process of breaking in the new brake pads with the rotor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmy22