NNBS brake job done - pedal not firm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the damn scan tool lol! My mechanic says what I did should not have put air into the ABS system. I'm going to do a second bleed myself and figured why not just use the tool?
If you are referring to a Tech 2 purchase, then Congratulations. You won't be sorry.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't always like dropping cash for things that don't get used, but I did some of my own quick math...

I spent about $330 to get mine (about $250 + 1 week shipping from overseas).

Repair shop rates average $80 - $100 per hour.
Most shops charge 1 hour minimum.
Diagnostic fees, $150 (often waved, but only if they find something to repair and do the work - which is often more than 1 hour labor...)

Then add in things I mis-diagnose, buying parts I don't need and buying other parts I do need to finally fix the issue.

If I decide one part should fix an issue, buy it and the issue is not fixed. I'm in for the cost of the part + my time.
If I figure it has to be this other part, put that in and issue is not fixed... I'm in for cost of 2 parts + my time.
If I finally cave and bring it to the shop... I am in for 2 parts that didn't fix it, my time, at least $150 for diagnostic fees, any additional labor and any additional parts to actually fix it.

I may need help from the guys on the forum on some of the more in-depth functions of the Tech 2, but having it will allow me to dive in to individual sensor functions and diagnostic testing. If I can prevent myself from buying one extra part and avoid a total of 2 hours of shop labor... My Tech 2 will have paid for itself. $330 spent now has a very good chance of saving many times that amount over the next several years.

Nobody is forcing a Tech 2 on anyone, but from what I have seen and heard on the forum... Diagnosis and repair success rates are pretty convincing for people with Tech 2. If you are going to DIY the majority of work, it seems like the cost of a Tech 2 has great potential savings in time, money and aggravation.

I have not had to use my Tech 2 just yet, but I am ready and feel fairly confident it will be able to get me out of trouble some day. I'll be ready.
Lets not forget the infamous replace a bad part with a BAD PART and then have to chase your tail trying to figure out what went wrong.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe user error with the power bleeder or malfunction. Maybe try the tried and true 2 man method always starting on the rr.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Update and good news! I got to work on the brakes again today and after doing a manual bleed, ABS autobleed, and another manual bleed the brakes feel great again and I would say definitely better than when I started!

I had some errands to run around town today and the pedal firmness felt great along with the stopping power getting better and better as the brakes bedded in!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread, I got this thing dialed in and learned some new stuff too! :thumbsup:

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Update and good news! I got to work on the brakes again today and after doing a manual bleed, ABS autobleed, and another manual bleed the brakes feel great again and I would say definitely better than when I started!

I had some errands to run around town today and the pedal firmness felt great along with the stopping power getting better and better as the brakes bedded in!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread, I got this thing dialed in and learned some new stuff too! :thumbsup:
So you got your tech 2 in and used that to bleed the abs pump

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t tell from the pics and nobody asked so I’ll ask: are the bleeders on the top and not the bottom? You wouldn’t be the first to install the calipers on the wrong side of the vehicle and end up with this situation. If they’re on the bottom you’ll never get all the air out.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
I couldn’t tell from the pics and nobody asked so I’ll ask: are the bleeders on the top and not the bottom? You wouldn’t be the first to install the calipers on the wrong side of the vehicle and end up with this situation. If they’re on the bottom you’ll never get all the air out.
Definitely on the top! I made sure not to make that mistake! Good looking out!