Nivomat replacement options on a ZW7 RPO 2x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MalibuYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My first post,

Hello and thanks in advance if this has been covered to death previously.
I'm looking for an option for replacement of the "Premium smooth ride package" on a 2004 Yukon XL with 130k on the clock.

I'd easily replace with the Bilstein 5100 for up front and perhaps replace the keys to add a 2" lift.
For the back my options seem to be the Bils 5100 w/ either Z71 springs or Bilstein uprated springs.

My question is this:

IS there a loss in drive-ability on freeways without the Sachs Nivomats out back?
I would not like to compromise highway at-speed road-handling simply for an inch in lift.
What other option is there besides replacing with stock Sachs/ACDelco rears with Z71 springs?
I think this truck already has the z71 rear springs and only one nivomat is toast, at the moment.
Fronts are blown, and am planning on doing the upper and lower ball joints at same time as replacing front struts.

Driving mostly in Malibu with mixed use PCH and freeway with some mountain driving and some dirt roads.

Thanks again in advance.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had the same shocks in my 03 Tahoe, ZW7. I swapped out to some KYB's but left the ZW7 springs in. At normal highway speeds it would sway side to side in the rear. Hitting a bump or dip actually made it scary. I eventually swapped rear springs, lowering it. My advice, whatever shocks you decide to go with, your stock springs are too soft. Swap out the rear springs with whatever shocks you go with.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 rear Nivomat shocks that I took out of a 2002 Tahoe that could be for sale.

OP
OP
M

MalibuYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Are the nivomats in the tahoe the same for the yukon xl? I think they might be different

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the shocks are the same for the short body and long body. But like Tony said, I would just get new shocks. I had the same problem and I just replaced the shocks with regular shocks and had the same highway experience tony talked about. Finally got some Z71 springs with Bilsteins for my lift and the ride is way better.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give me the last 8 of your vin number and I will double check part numbers tomorrow at work. I work at a Chevy dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645