New to lifting! 98 2door tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

costa7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im completely new to lifts, so i need some help. I have a 1998 2 door chevy tahoe sport and i have always wanted to lift it. It is stock. Im thinking a 4 in suspension lift and bigger tires to make it look proportional. Im just going to buy a lift off the internet and a friend is going to help install it to save some money. Any recommendations on what kind/brand lift to purchase? Do i have to change anything on the tahoe in order to lift it? Drive shaft? If someone could break it down that would be great.
Thanks!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for teh RCX 6" kit...it is teh same as the 4" kit. Nice product, I run one on my suburban. The only thing you will need to do is have the Y pipe re-routed around the front drive shaft after the lift is done. Also get an alignment. Any idea what gears are in the truck now? Bigger tires need bigger gears to save the tranny.

The RCX kit even includes the longer brake lines for the front.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are 35s with 8" of lift. Suburban is 6" of lift on 35s also

RCX is Rough Country. Kits are $1000 on their site, good price, good lift, good fit

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 42

Dazrin

Reaction score
I keep reading that either RCX or Cepek are the best choices for 6" lifts, although I can't find the Cepeks in stock anywhere.

It looks new, but has anyone heard anything about the Zone Offroad lift? Supposedly you don't need to get a new front driveshaft with their lift which would cut about 25% off the material costs. http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=397

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front shaft is only for those with Autotrac. Neither of my rigs needed front shafts.

I hear a few guys on GMFS running Zone stuff but I want to say more leveing kits that anything. That is not a bad price though.

In regards to the Cepek, did you contact Extreme Suspensions? They own the Cepek line now, I bought one direct few years back. The site is under construction but it says they are in stock.

Dazrin

Reaction score
The front shaft is only for those with Autotrac. Neither of my rigs needed front shafts.

I hear a few guys on GMFS running Zone stuff but I want to say more leveing kits that anything. That is not a bad price though.

In regards to the Cepek, did you contact Extreme Suspensions? They own the Cepek line now, I bought one direct few years back. The site is under construction but it says they are in stock.

Unfortunately, I do have the Autotrac. The way they describe it is a little nebulous..."3-point differential mounting system correctly positions the differential so the factory driveshaft can be used". It is not clear to me if they are talking about Autotrac or not.

I haven't actually checked on the Cepeks for a few months. They were all out of stock then though, even through Extreme Suspensions. If I remember right, they said "soon", so maybe they are now, but if the Zone lifts do work for Autotrac without a shaft and are decent lifts...

I will keep looking for more information on the Zones. When I finally get the money rounded up to do this I have at least 2 options, would like 3 just to be sure and to (hopefully) get some more competitive install quotes. I don't have the tools/location to do the install myself.

Lift + tires/wheels + gears is a lot of money in one go around. :(

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im completely new to lifts, so i need some help. I have a 1998 2 door chevy tahoe sport and i have always wanted to lift it. It is stock. Im thinking a 4 in suspension lift and bigger tires to make it look proportional. Im just going to buy a lift off the internet and a friend is going to help install it to save some money. Any recommendations on what kind/brand lift to purchase? Do i have to change anything on the tahoe in order to lift it? Drive shaft? If someone could break it down that would be great.
Thanks!
I loved the Dick Cepek lift on my 99 4 door Tahoe...with the TB's cranked I sat at about 9" of lift in the front and it was EXTREMELY solid. It rode good, handled good, and took some pretty good abuse a few times. I would definitely check into them before you buy a kit, because it sits at 6.5" without any adjustment to the TB's so you could have extremely flat angles. Here are some pictures with 35x14.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers on 15x10 rims...this is with 8" Skyjacker springs in the back and 1ton torsion bars in it...sat at about 9" up front and 8" in back

e1fde9b8a1d6.jpg
P4160010.jpg
P4160014.jpg
mudgrapplers017.gif
2005-09-03003.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia