New tires , Pulling left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glmoore0001

Reaction score
2006 Z71
Put on a new set of Continental CrossTrack LT 20s.
275 65 R17.
Changed the left tie rod. Had an alignment and truck was pulling left.

Took it back to the shop to check the alignment again. It was adjusted, truck is still pulling left.

Swapped the sides on the front tire. No change.

They are out of ideas now, so they put in some camber? to try to counteract the pull. It helped but did not fix.

The pull is better now, but if you take your hand off the wheel it'll move into the left lane.

I drove it 600 miles yesterday to go home for the holiday. I stopped at a rest park after being on the interstate, the bearing supports, nor anywhere on the axel was even warm to the touch. Same for the brake rotors.

I will cross the rear tires and swap with the front today.

If no change, I will try a new alignment place.

Anything else that could be causing the pull?
The truck ran true before the tire change. Thanks.

OP
OP
G

glmoore0001

Reaction score
Sorry. Just noticed I put this in the wrong forum.
Should be in 2006 earlier or Street Suspension category.
I dislike my cell phone. Gary

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well before it’s moved to a different thread...

When you say the brakes aren’t warm...have you looked at the left front brake specifically during braking? Maybe having someone watch it brake and release in the drive way as you move. Or on the road somewhere. Typically you shouldn’t have to go beyond the alignment machine. Too much “correction” could cause extra wear on the tires I’d think.

When they changed the tie rod, did you get to see it? Was it actually bad?

I’m interested to see what you find out.

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just re-read your post. They have obviously done something wrong when swapping the tires. I bet it won’t be the brakes now that I’m re-reading it.

I’d bet the tie rod replacement was/is your issue. If you swapped the tires on the front, you’ve eliminated it being an unbalanced tires or something weird with the new shoes.

If they damaged the tie rod or did something goofy in there, that’s absolutely going to be where I’d be looking

OP
OP
G

glmoore0001

Reaction score
No, I have not had another person available to look at the brake while stopping. I was thinking rotor may be dragging but right off the highway the rotor was at most 100 degrees. Not hot at all.
The last set of tires were worn on the inner edges and I took the machanics word that the tie rod was bad.I did not see the old tie rod.
Thank you for the response. Gary

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While there is such a thing as a radial pull, you nullified that by swapping sides. I'll also assume you know about road crowns. Having said that, the "new" tie rod would be the first place I'd look. When were the they all last changed? What about the inner tie rods? The second would be the alignment itself. You can check it yourself and even set the toe if need be on a level surface. There are "how tos" here and videos on youtube.

OP
OP
G

glmoore0001

Reaction score
There was no indication that there was a problem with the suspension until the tire change.
With the old tires the truck ran true.
There has been nothing done to the suspension since I have the vehicle.
I would normally check it out myself, but the garage is full of vehicles at this time and I cannot get it in the air.

OP
OP
G

glmoore0001

Reaction score
That was done when the tires were installed, before the alignment. Thank you for your reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21