New Tahoe Owner with a few questions/concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. My rear windshield wiper/washer does not spray.
2. My driver's side door pull (the vinyl one, not the door opener handle) has broken inside and the vinyl feels squishy and needs to be replaced/repaired (it does not "look bad")
3. My rear backup sensors do not appear to work. They do not appear to be turned off, but I have never heard them beep.
4. How can I tell if the air-shocks are working, compressor is working, etc? I have not noticed any leveling, stiffening, or noise. Maybe they are broken?
5. I was descending a mountain over the weekend, braking often, and I heard a quick growl sound and noticed a message on the instrument cluster that read something like "grade assist activated". It lasted only a second or two and never occurred again.
6. I cannot seem to get the universal garage door buttons to sync with my old door opener (Craftsman 1/2HP -1995). I push the outside buttons for ~20 seconds to clear buttons, then the outside buttons for 2 seconds, then push the train button on opener, then back to the vehicle and press a single button and nothing...
7. When I push the button to "auto-fold" the mirrors, the driver's side motor sound as if it is straining (but it works)
8. The driver's side rear window seems to hit a "hard stop" with a slight "thud" at its lowermost position. The other window just stops at the lowest position quietly (like one would expect it to).
9. The plastic tread on the rear bumper (that you would stand on) slips around when you push on it. It doesn't seem to blow around, make noise, or fall off, but it doesn't seem "snapped in" or "adhered" to the bumper.

CARFAX showed no accidents. There had been (4) owners, however, which seemed excessive to me and caused a moment of pause, but 18 maintenance records.

Most have been answered, but I'll throw in my penny's worth:

Ensure the pump is running when the button is pushed. Mine ran but didn't pump- it turned out that the hose was dry rotted and cracked and was disconnected at the line from the pump to inside the fender. A $2 length of hose and 5 minutes of work restored this function.

2. My driver's side door pull (the vinyl one, not the door opener handle) has broken inside and the vinyl feels squishy and needs to be replaced/repaired (it does not "look bad")

They're designed to be softer where the elbow rests, but heavier-armed people can smash the vinyl in. I'd try to reinforce it from the bottom side before replacing the whole panel.

3. My rear backup sensors do not appear to work. They do not appear to be turned off, but I have never heard them beep.

If there was body work done to the rear bumper, maybe they left the sensors unplugged?

4. How can I tell if the air-shocks are working, compressor is working, etc? I have not noticed any leveling, stiffening, or noise. Maybe they are broken?

When the key is first turned to "on", before starting or right after it's started, you should hear the compressor run for a few seconds. Look at the bellows on the shocks to see if they're blown. Chances are that they are blown. The compressor would then run too much and either blow it's fuse(s) or burn up altogether.

5. I was descending a mountain over the weekend, braking often, and I heard a quick growl sound and noticed a message on the instrument cluster that read something like "grade assist activated". It lasted only a second or two and never occurred again.

Normal function under those conditions.

6. I cannot seem to get the universal garage door buttons to sync with my old door opener (Craftsman 1/2HP -1995). I push the outside buttons for ~20 seconds to clear buttons, then the outside buttons for 2 seconds, then push the train button on opener, then back to the vehicle and press a single button and nothing...

Garage door operator may be too old, but the Tahoe's built-in remote can be finicky as well. It's not as easy to program as the old Homelink remote that used to come in these things. When programming mine, I had to press the button that I wanted to program off and on for one second each (press for one second, release for one second, press for one second, etc.) until the operator responded.

7. When I push the button to "auto-fold" the mirrors, the driver's side motor sound as if it is straining (but it works)

Common issue. The driver's door get used and slammed the most, so that mirror gets jarred around the most and the fragile gear inside usually fails quicker.

8. The driver's side rear window seems to hit a "hard stop" with a slight "thud" at its lowermost position. The other window just stops at the lowest position quietly (like one would expect it to).

My passenger side does this. I haven't investigated it yet, but I'd guess that the rubber bumper(s) at the bottom of the track have dry rotted and fallen off.

9. The plastic tread on the rear bumper (that you would stand on) slips around when you push on it. It doesn't seem to blow around, make noise, or fall off, but it doesn't seem "snapped in" or "adhered" to the bumper.

If body work was done recently, it was probably not properly reattached.

CARFAX showed no accidents. There had been (4) owners, however, which seemed excessive to me and caused a moment of pause, but 18 maintenance records

Some of those "owners" could have been the dealers themselves.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
Most have been answered, but I'll throw in my penny's worth:

Ensure the pump is running when the button is pushed. Mine ran but didn't pump- it turned out that the hose was dry rotted and cracked and was disconnected at the line from the pump to inside the fender. A $2 length of hose and 5 minutes of work restored this function.

They're designed to be softer where the elbow rests, but heavier-armed people can smash the vinyl in. I'd try to reinforce it from the bottom side before replacing the whole panel.

If there was body work done to the rear bumper, maybe they left the sensors unplugged?

When the key is first turned to "on", before starting or right after it's started, you should hear the compressor run for a few seconds. Look at the bellows on the shocks to see if they're blown. Chances are that they are blown. The compressor would then run too much and either blow it's fuse(s) or burn up altogether.

Normal function under those conditions.

Garage door operator may be too old, but the Tahoe's built-in remote can be finicky as well. It's not as easy to program as the old Homelink remote that used to come in these things. When programming mine, I had to press the button that I wanted to program off and on for one second each (press for one second, release for one second, press for one second, etc.) until the operator responded.

Common issue. The driver's door get used and slammed the most, so that mirror gets jarred around the most and the fragile gear inside usually fails quicker.

My passenger side does this. I haven't investigated it yet, but I'd guess that the rubber bumper(s) at the bottom of the track have dry rotted and fallen off.

If body work was done recently, it was probably not properly reattached.

CARFAX showed no accidents. There had been (4) owners, however, which seemed excessive to me and caused a moment of pause, but 18 maintenance records

Some of those "owners" could have been the dealers themselves.
Thank you for your post. It was excellent. BTW, the rear sensors are working :). The "dealers being owners" is an excellent observation!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine showed 4 owners but was only ever owned by one lady.

Mine was like that... sort of. The second owner was the owner of the car lot and he kept the Tahoe for his wife to drive. So, I definitely felt safe buying it! Original owner was some sort of lawyer or businessman that, apparently, only used the back seat area to carry his dry-cleaned suits.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was like that... sort of. The second owner was the owner of the car lot and he kept the Tahoe for his wife to drive. So, I definitely felt safe buying it! Original owner was some sort of lawyer or businessman that, apparently, only used the back seat area to carry his dry-cleaned suits.

From what I've been able to piece together with mine, when the AFM went kaput, she traded it in at the original dealer, they sent it off to auction and Manheim got stuck paying a dealer in Virginia to fix it and then another dealer bought it and I got it from them.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
Any luck with the built-in remote? Had a chance to troubleshoot the rear washer?
Update:

1. I did finally get the garage door opener synced up—-boy was it finicky.
2. I removed the front push bar and led lights.
3. I went by the dealer and made and appointment to have the door, rear washer, and battery checked out (just for safety’s sake-car is 5 years old)

3A52DA2D-B419-4FFB-BD4A-55758CF870F3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
payneml