New guy with an '01 Tahoe and a boatload of trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe0159

Reaction score
Hello fellow Tahoe, etc. folks!

Yeah, we got an '01 Tahoe that my son has been driving for a few years.
It's got...hmm...something like 300k+ miles on it. He's "gifted" it to us, while he looks for a "better job".

In the meantime, it's become my job to "help" him keep it running.
He's clueless, unfortunately, so I will try to school him as we go along.

I need advice on several things that are going on with it. This was the recommended place where all the "gurus" are! :)

Hope y'all having a good time this summer!

We never owned a full-size SUV before this showed up and I will have to say, I am VERY impressed at how well it's running with that many miles on it. Rides like a dream and I hope we can get it running as smoothly as it once was.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didnt really specify any problems. I'd change out all the fluids first. Plugs and check plug wires.

Do you have any diagnostic trouble codes displayed? Is your check engine light on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoe0159

Tahoe0159

Reaction score
Did an oil and filter change (yuck, lot of sludge on the filter).

Put a new air filter in.

Tranny fluid level ok, but dirty.

I am sure it needs plugs, so off to parts store tomorrow for that.

We had a new water pump (thermostat, inlet,etc) put on last year, but now...adding coolant on a regular basis...no obvious external leaks.

The diff was leaking and we had that done too, when they did rear brakes, a year ago this last spring.

The AC in front is barely cool. Blows fine, but never cool until you are the highway at full speed. But the rear AC will freeze you, even at idle! What up with that?

No check engine, but getting the Service Engine Soon message at startup.

I started a thread in another part of this forum on the ABS and Brake light thing, so no need to do that here. That started acting up in March or April.

Still Runs and drives...really good...considering the general neglect for probably the last 100k miles on it.

I really like driving this thing...never had one before, so dont mind getting it back in good shape. Even if I have to spend some time and money.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay well start with the tranny fluid levels okay but its dirty
by dirty do you mean brown or black is the tranny seem to run okay either way it needs a flush and a new filter probably

coolant how much are you adding and how often?

as far as AC goes somoneelse will have to chime in on that im not very savvy on A/C
here in arizona if yer ac stops working you immediatly go get it fixed no matter the cost
or you die a slow horrible death

when you change the plugs check and see how the old ones look you mite be able to catch a potential problem if your not sure what to look for post a pic

OP
OP
Tahoe0159

Tahoe0159

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice....I probably have too much going on at once!

Yes, on the tranny fluid. It's not fresh, but not brown either. Doesn't smell burnt and the Tahoe is driving and shifting smoothly, so that is probably my lowest priority.

On the AC, I need to search some threads, because I've heard that a heater diverter door can get stuck (actuator?) or something and that might be the problem, because the rear AC vents will freeze you. So, I am assuming the compressor, condensor and evap are OK. I did put a little charge in it a week ago, just one of those quick fill things and the compressor started running and I am not doing any more till I put a gauge set on it and see what is going on. But it did hold that charge...so that's good news.

On the coolant leak, we are putting in a gal about every other week (not all at once). I did read up on those leaky heads and worried that was it, but I did see today the casting number on the corner of the head is 862. Is that the kind of head that leaks into the cylinder? Have not done a full pressure test on the system, but I did see a very slight evidence of leak on the inlet tube (which was replaced last year). It did not leak while idling and I do not see anything on the ground where it sits. It may only leak under load?

And yes when I get the plugs pulled, I will take a picture and post.

Thanks!

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the tranny is operating fine its probably due for a new filter and fluid

for the coolant the first thing i like to do is go to like a DIY carwash and thuroughly clean the engine becuase that grimey greasy oily caked on dirt and shit that builds up on an engine overtime can hide things like coolant leaks
after that just monitor for a few days were its parked to see if any new drops on the pavement show up you can do a pressure test but all that really does is tell you that you have a leak and if your putting in a gallon every other week you shure as shit got a leak somwheres

OP
OP
Tahoe0159

Tahoe0159

Reaction score
Good advice....Will take it to the car wash and carefully clean the gunk off.

I know you have to be careful when doing that and not blast the electrical wiring or the air intake. :)

I meant to get the new plugs done today, but other things came along, so that got put off.

Will get that done soon, but I think the coolant leak is higher priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n