New Buyer Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robertmII

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 15 or 16 certified Denali XL or Escalade ESV.

Have been reading on the forums though and getting a bit cold feet. Looks like there are lots of tranny problems as well as vibration or similar inside the cabin.

Any advice you can offer as to what model years to focus on (or stay away from) would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anything I should specifically look out for on test drives would be good info as well.

I will obviously have the dealers pull all service history on vehicles we are interested in. Ones with a bunch of visits to dealership I will pass on.

Any other advice you can offer? Wife wants a QX80 but I am pushing her to one of the Chevy models for the increased stowage. Any real differenes between the Denali and Escalade besides trim etc?

Thanks very much!

Robert.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 15 or 16 certified Denali XL or Escalade ESV.

Have been reading on the forums though and getting a bit of cold feet. Looks like there are lots of tranny problems as well as vibration or similar inside the cabin.

Any advice you can offer as to what model years to focus on (or stay away from) would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anything I should specifically look out for on test drives would be good info as well.

I will obviously have the dealers pull all service history on vehicles we are interested in. Ones with a bunch of visits to dealership I will pass on.

Any other advice you can offer? Wife wants a QX80 but I am pushing her to one of the Chevy models for the increased stowage. Any real differenes between the Denali and Escalade besides trim etc?

Thanks very much!

Robert.

-test drive thoroughly. Booming occurs between 20-45 vibration at 75+
-escalade is the Denali from a mechanical standpoint. Different interior look and light saber brake lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The QX80 is nice, but an extremely old design at this point. That will show itself most in the in-cabin technology, where in contrast the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade are a bit ahead of the curve just now. The QX80 powertrain is pretty decent.

I've got a Tahoe, so the transmission is different. I have not noticed any vibration at speed that would be unusual for a body-on-frame vehicle with a live rear axle. I suspect the issue is overreported, with respect to anyone here who has determined an actual problem with their vehicle in particular

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert, no two vehicles will drive the same regardless what YMM they are. The ball is in your court, your the buyer, let them come to you and your requests. Finally it's your hard earned $$$$$$$$$. Good luck.
David g.................:)

Ashley

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon XL Denali and have had tons of issues. But I would still buy another one. We almost bought the QX80, I had the deal ready. But when I took my husband to sign the papers and sit in it. He didn't fit great in it (he is 6'4) and my kids fit much better in the Yukon. The power also wasn't as good as the Denali engine.
I would ask to borrow the car for the weekend if your buying used, take it on a short road trip and make sure it drives nice and no vibration. Make sure 4WD works if your getting one with that.

All said and done tho I will buy another Yukon if GM buys mine back. It's my favorite car I've ever owned.

68 Grand

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems to me that more complaints about issues occur with the 6.2 engine and 8-speed transmission. Thought about going with an LTZ Suburban or SLT Yukon? Possibly less risky. It has the 5.3 engine and 6-speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy