Never ends. Fuel pump this time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fink117

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I placed the order before I saw the post about the sensor. Ill return it after the install thanks for catching that. Ill post back next week with how it goes. Now to pump out the last half a tank left that is still in there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mine is a 2001, and the recall was done in January 2006. And I did see that mine was soldered and heat shrinked. It was some clear heat shrink that I've never seen before. But it was obviously marine grade, because it was COMPLETELY sealed with some sort of glue or sealant in the heat shrink. So when I saw how good the plug looked and how good the connection was, I just left it and plugged it right up to my new fuel pump.

That's the good stuff. It's a heat shrink tube with sealant in it that is squeezed out when the tube shrinks. Makes for a weathertight splice. Sounds like they did a good job.

OP
OP
Fink117

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The process and end result. The hardest part of this job was getting the rotted lines out of the quick connects and one of the tank strap bolts broke the nut clip holding it in place. Glad its done pissed I had to change a mechanically working pump.
2017-01-02%2010.32.22.jpg
2017-01-02%2010.31.39.jpg
2017-01-02%2011.36.59.jpg
2017-01-02%2010.31.58.jpg
2017-01-02%2011.38.16.jpg
2017-01-02%2012.35.16.jpg
2017-01-02%2012.50.08%20HDR.jpg

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy shit. Mine had NOWHERE near that amount of rust. Thats one good thing about living down here in Louisiana I guess, we get zero rust on vehicles down here.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Holy shit. Mine had NOWHERE near that amount of rust. Thats one good thing about living down here in Louisiana I guess, we get zero rust on vehicles down here.
I'm surprised. Isn't it really humid down there? I know the salt we use on the roads kills vehicles, but doesn't the humidity cause some surface rust after awhile? Are you near the ocean at all?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised. Isn't it really humid down there? I know the salt we use on the roads kills vehicles, but doesn't the humidity cause some surface rust after awhile? Are you near the ocean at all?

It IS very humid here, but it doesn't really affect cars like the salt does. At most, it might create some slight surface rust but that's about it. I'm not near the coast, I'm up at the very top of the state. But I used to live in New Orleans up until hurricane Katrina. But the salty air doesn't even create rust like the salty roads up north. I've even seen cars that were flooded by Katrina (which was mostly saltwater by the way) that were not as bad as daily driven northern cars. I lived one block from Lake Ponchartrain which is actually a saltwater bay, and that's what flooded the city with saltwater. I had a 87 Cutlass that was flooded up to the dash and I ended up selling it because the rust was too bad (or so I thought). But even as bad as the rust was, I've seen 6-7 year old trucks from the rust belt with far worse rust than my Cutlass had.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would've spray-painted or POR-15'ed it before installing it.

I'm in south Louisiana, near Baton Rouge, so no salty sea air here. I could wipe off the surface dust and/or rust (if there was any) with my hand and remove any nut or bolt with hand tools on my 14-year-old S10. My '08 Tahoe is even cleaner. The only rust I've found is surface rust at 4 points where the mechanic's lift contacted the frame and rubbed off that black waxy stuff.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My 95 blazer was parked at my mother's for 4 yrs, she's like 3 blocks from the ocean, when I came to get it, the salt air rusted a few spots right through! Funny, I picked it up in Pa, originally came from Maryland, then it came to NJ, and before the shore there wasn't any significant rust. Salt air did her in! I lived that truck. :bawl:

OP
OP
Fink117

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would've spray-painted or POR-15'ed it before installing it.

I thought about that after I finished tightening up the last tank strap. Oh which by the way the Clip that holds the nut for the tank straps rotted away too more fun. But just as fast as I thought dam i should have painted it or sprayed an oil on it I thought "I am not ******* doing that again."
But I should have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali