Never ends. Fuel pump this time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last month I had an engine noise that was driving me insane. Traced it to the water pump. Changed it and was happy as a clam. Too happy. Started smelling gas a week ago and it was driving me nuts because there was no drips under the truck. The engine bay didn't smell like gas. The rear Evap cans didn't smell of gas. Finally I shoved my Phone up the frame rail and took a picture of the top of the fuel tank. The blue clip off the the left is dripping while running. So now I get to drop the tank and swap the pump and sender.

Truck is an 07 suburban 5.3 with 167k miles on it and has lived in New England all its life. Thanks for not making this stainless steel. Anyhow. Should I be looking at changing anything else while I have the tank out like the emissions sensor mentioned in one of the other posts. Going to be using and AC Delco pump unless someone has a better suggestion, but nearly 170k miles on a pump is pretty good I guess specially since its still mechanically working perfectly.
2016-12-21 13.12.46.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Definitely do an ac delco pump. Aftermarket pumps don't last. I just had a pump done in my 03 and it lasted a month. Of course it went out when I filled up!

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the AC Delco or Delphi anything else you'll be doing it again in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 on using only an ACDelco or Delphi assembly.

As far as replacing other parts, the only thing that comes to my mind is maybe the O-rings in the quick-disconnect fittings? They're probably fine, but it's cheap insurance. I got a bag of 100 Viton O-rings from my local Fastenal back when I was relocating the fuel tank on my S10. It was cheaper to buy that bag from them versus the few that I needed online. Of course, I can't find them now.

OP
OP
Fink117

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some O Rings laying around but just to double check anyone see anything else I may need for this that's missing?
Screenshot 2016-12-22 21.30.31.png

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the O-rings are rated for fuel exposure.

I've never known complete assemblies to not include the pressure sensor, verify before you end up wasting $30.

1_8TTony

Reaction score
Make sure the replacement fuel pump includes the new connector (which you will splice onto the end of the factory harness after cutting off the original connector). The original connectors heat up and create resistance resulting in heat. Once you get the old pump out, flip it upside down and look at the wire that directly connects onto the pump motor, near the connection, I bet it is melted and looks burnt. Scary to think that much heat is inside the fuel tank, good thing there isn't any oxygen in there allowing the vapors to explode. KABOOM!!!!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the replacement fuel pump includes the new connector (which you will splice onto the end of the factory harness after cutting off the original connector). The original connectors heat up and create resistance resulting in heat. Once you get the old pump out, flip it upside down and look at the wire that directly connects onto the pump motor, near the connection, I bet it is melted and looks burnt. Scary to think that much heat is inside the fuel tank, good thing there isn't any oxygen in there allowing the vapors to explode. KABOOM!!!!

Yes, GM even did a recall about this plug on the fuel pump because it was causing a few fires. I had my harness replaced for free at the Chevy dealer about a month after I bought my Suburban back in 2006. I got a letter in the mail about it, so I dropped it off and had it replaced for free. Then this summer my pump finally went bad, and I saw the new plug already on my fuel pump harness, and I remembered about that recall.
But anyways, if your truck has NOT already had that harness plug replaced, then replace it when you are doing the pump. The Delco pumps even come with a new pigtail to repair the harness yourself.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that plug upgrade handled earlier in the 2000s, like all '03+ had the newer design? Regardless, it's important to be mindful of this. I would also highly suggest to solder and heatshrink your connections rather than a simple crimped butt splice. The stock power wire feeding the pump is barely adequate and it's far too easy to create a weak connection with a butt splice.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that plug upgrade handled earlier in the 2000s, like all '03+ had the newer design? Regardless, it's important to be mindful of this. I would also highly suggest to solder and heatshrink your connections rather than a simple crimped butt splice. The stock power wire feeding the pump is barely adequate and it's far too easy to create a weak connection with a butt splice.

Well mine is a 2001, and the recall was done in January 2006. And I did see that mine was soldered and heat shrinked. It was some clear heat shrink that I've never seen before. But it was obviously marine grade, because it was COMPLETELY sealed with some sort of glue or sealant in the heat shrink. So when I saw how good the plug looked and how good the connection was, I just left it and plugged it right up to my new fuel pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instigator01