Need to remove inside door panel on rear cargo doors 2000 Tahoe LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
Greetings once again. I need to replace the outside door handle on my rear cargo door(split door style), and will have to remove the inside door panel on the rear cargo door. This truck has the split rear door instead of the lift gate style.

I'm sure there are clips or pegs of some kind holding it in, just needed to know what to look for, before I go pulling and prodding on it, and break things. . . every manufacturer has their little secrets and it's a lot cheaper to ask ahead than replace the panel after the fact. . . . :)

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember right it’s plastic **** off the panel with metal/plastic clips on them that push into the door prob every 6-12 inches..around the perimeter of the panel.... iirc the bottom panel needs to come off first then the part around the window if you need... its 2 seperate panels on each barn door. Start at bottom of door then pull your way around

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Worked perfectly, thanks. The top part has to come off first, and the bottom part just lifts up out of the door. Everything was going perfectly, got the new door handle in, panels all back on, and shut the door, and - - - -

the door is locked now, and won't open from outside.

Now what? Can I get to everything from inside?? The key won't unlock, and the power unlock won't work, either. I knew I should have tested this out before I put it back together. . . . . .

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worked perfectly, thanks. The top part has to come off first, and the bottom part just lifts up out of the door. Everything was going perfectly, got the new door handle in, panels all back on, and shut the door, and - - - -

the door is locked now, and won't open from outside.

Now what? Can I get to everything from inside?? The key won't unlock, and the power unlock won't work, either. I knew I should have tested this out before I put it back together. . . . . .

Forgot ifbit was top or bottom that had to come off first...
Get in pull the window trim on the passenger back barn door , pull the bottom panel and get your hand in there and pull the opener... you prob forgot the rod clip or it broke which is plastic

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Like the popper idea. Will look into that.

Got the panels off and it seems to not unlock. All the cable seem to be hooked up and pressing the lock/unlock buttons make noise and I see movement.. It just won't unlock with key, button or anything else. I can trace wires and rods and all seems to be connected.

Getting it to unlock seems to have become the issue.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the very bottle of the door there is another cable if that cable has any slack on it it will stop the locks from unlocking. Sorry dont have a pic of it.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, got it open. It appears that there is something that is either in the way, or binding, the unlock sequence. I watched the lock mechanism, figured out which way was lock and unlock, and when I tried to move it by hand, it would not unlock. Eventually, with some fiddling about, I got it unlocked and open. I'll have to tear it apart tomorrow and see what's not playing well with others.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Chief_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove and replace the passenger side barn door. my trailer smashed mine on my 01 tahoe

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Found the problem. On the door, in the middle, is a metal piece that everything seems to connect to - cables, etc. On that piece, there are 2 black plastic pieces that lock the door. The problem is that the smaller piece doesn't want to slide into the larger piece without moving it by hand. My assumption at this point is that when I pulled the door handle out to replace it, somehow either a piece that guides the smaller piece broke, or came loose somehow when moving things. At least I know where the problem is, just have to figure out what the part is called and if I need a new one or not. . . :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645