Need some advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03_gmc_yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 gmc yukon with bose and an alpine head. I'm needing some new speakers because both passenger side speakers are blown and sound terrible. I was going to replace all of them while I was at it just don't know how to go about it. Wanted to keep the cost on the low down if possible. Also didn't know about replacing the tweets or just leaving them. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 gmc yukon with bose and an alpine head. I'm needing some new speakers because both passenger side speakers are blown and sound terrible. I was going to replace all of them while I was at it just don't know how to go about it. Wanted to keep the cost on the low down if possible. Also didn't know about replacing the tweets or just leaving them. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

tons of personal preference weigh into this decision. From a technical aspect, I see most keeping the tweets intact. You could always just replace the speakers with something better and keep the stock amp working. I hear that doing this will only gain you about a 25% increase in quality. There are several deals on Crutchfield right now offering a free amp with 2 sets of speakers. I was thinking about going this route, and powering the front 6.5's with the free amp. I would keep the stock amp powering the rears....if this is even possible.

Just some thoughts, i am in the same boat as you. Learning about stereo and hating the stock system.

BB

OP
OP
03_gmc_yukon

03_gmc_yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea I'm just confused as to what the amp controls and what not lol. Or if i got 4 6.5's idk if they'd even work with the bose amp. I guess I need to know if aftermarket speakers will work off the bose amp..

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm just confused as to what the amp controls and what not lol. Or if i got 4 6.5's idk if they'd even work with the bose amp. I guess I need to know if aftermarket speakers will work off the bose amp..

Yes, just not as high quality if you had a better amp.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1
Just put proper ohm coax in the stock holes and leave the tweets in place.. and.. i know you dindt say it bailey.. but whoever told you running a much nicer and more responsive speaker off the stock amp was going to give minimal results is an idiot. and should stop giving speaker advice to anyone.

/thread

Last edited:

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1
Just put proper ohm coax in the stock holes and leave the tweets in place.. and.. i know you dindt say it bailey.. but whoever told you running a much nicer and more responsive speaker off the stock amp was going to give minimal results is an idiot. and should stop giving speaker advice to anyone.

/thread

A so called expert at a high end stereo shop........trying to sell me something! That is good to know as it would be the easiest upgrade. Thank you, as it was the sole reason I was holding off upgrading. He also said a LOC to Amp to door speakers and a stock headunit negates any sound quality new speakers and an amp would offer.

Lets stop beating this dead horse as each of these new speaker threads from stereo novices(like me) never really answers the question.

What is the capability of being felxible with the stock amp?
Can you keep it running speakers of your choice while disconnecting it to others? I.E. - keep it powering pillar tweeters while disconnecting door speakers and sub? Or, keep it running rear door speakers but discnnecting the fronts and adding another amp?

May be plan will clarify this those reading?
Stock Headunit -> Line Out Converter -> Amp -> New 6.5's in Front Door
*Keep Stock amp running everyting else
** Disconnect Stock Sub
Add LOC to Amp and new Sub.

Will amp keep running other speakers of my choosing?

Whew, now I am confused....thoughts? I should just get a job at a stereo place, go undercover and learn this for my own sanity.

BB

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your map works fine.. just make sure you dont bastardize ohm loads.. you can just pop out and replace the door speakers with any speaker you want.. and let the amp keep doing its thing everywhere else.. as long as you maintain ohm loads.. you double ohm loud you cut volume in half.. (for easy math)

Something the idiot in the store missed too is speakers that enjoy different wattages.. and speakers with different Efficiency will produce incredibly different noises than one with ones with another set of specs..

quality aside a 100w 89db efficiency speaker on 100w
wont be as loud as a 100w 94db efficiency speaker on the same wattage..
and in some cases a 50w speaker on 50w will be alot louder and clearer than 100w speaker on 50w

if you wanna keep as much stock stuff as possible (headunit and amp) just replace all the door speakers with co-ax speakers with the same ohm load and watt handling as the stock speakers.. and the highest efficiency you care to pay for.. then loc the sub output add an amp and add a real sub..

And doing headunit to loc to amp to new speakers is even better.. if you do this though.. dont skimp on the loc.. id hate to see you run a shit loc on this setup and be adding a distortion point to an already imperfect headunit..

you were 100% right.. he wanted commision

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sailfl

Latest posts