Need help with tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skatejosh369

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had my mind set pretty ******* running the general grabber red letters, as that's the tire I had always ran on my jeeps, but come to find out I can't find them in a 33x10.5x20 or a 275/65/20 or even a 285/55/20. Smallest thing I can find them in, in a 20 is a 315/50/20 or so.

My Tahoe is drove to work on Mondays, an I drive it back home on Fridays typically, all interstate driving. It does see a little mud, but nothing serious. Just enough to get me to the back of my property, or to a few different places thay will require 4wd.

Im not completely opposed to running a mud terrain, but I don't want an extremely loud tire going 75 down the road, even though that's more of the look I'd like to achieve. I'm on a 2" rc leveling kit, and I don't plan to go any higher than that with this unit.

I'm pretty well set on running a 275/65/20 or a 285/55/20. Not to concerned with cost, as I plan to keep the tires on there for a very solid 3-4 years as I am only averaging 5000 miles a year, or 6500 on the higher end. When you average out cost per year on any of the tires, it's really not too bad. Any good advice on some rubber would be greatly appreciated!

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
This is my recommendation:

Wrangler_DuraTrac_354.jpg

These are high quality, long lasting tires. Great in all manner of terrains and conditions. They're a good solution for in between an AT and a dedicated mud grip. They are great in the rain, great in the mud, sand, dirt, gravel, etc. Granted, they're not as quiet as an AT, but look as the tread design and you'll see why. They're not as loud as an MT either though. They're light compared to most other similar tires, which is beneficial considering rotating mass and drivetrain parts deterioration or what have you.

I ran a set of these in 295/65/18 on my Suburban, and the only complaint I had was a floaty feeling or a bit of wandering above 80 mph. With a warmed over 350, looser-than-stock torque converter, and 4.56 gears, I still couldn't get these tires to spin on wet pavement until I wore 2/3 of the tread off of them. BTW, they're good for more than the 50K mile warranty.

They are available in 275/65 and 285/60 for 20" wheels.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
The only reason I recommend the cooper zeon Ltz all terrain over the goodywar duratrac is because road noise and he said he drives mostly highway

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the Cooper Zeons. Im surprised at how quiet they are and they have excellent wet and dry pavement grip. I don't have any offroad experiences yet.

Last edited:

gibbygsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might not be agressive enough for you but have had a few sets of these on different vehicles over the years. Always liked them.Screenshot_2016-03-24-22-33-52.png

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I really like my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Im only rollin on 17s but I've seen them on 20s on a clients king ranch F250. Still a sweet tire setup. Haven't had my tires a full year yet. But they are great. Aggressive all terrain tread but they are light and very quiet. I don't hear them @ all on the highway. Haven't had a chance to really test them out in the snow as my truck has been down all winter with lame ass transmission issues. But in the summer rain storms tires didn't slip @ all. And living in a mountain ski town my tires corner quite well going up and down the mountain roads.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
So far I really like my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Im only rollin on 17s but I've seen them on 20s on a clients king ranch F250. Still a sweet tire setup. Haven't had my tires a full year yet. But they are great. Aggressive all terrain tread but they are light and very quiet. I don't hear them @ all on the highway. Haven't had a chance to really test them out in the snow as my truck has been down all winter with lame ass transmission issues. But in the summer rain storms tires didn't slip @ all. And living in a mountain ski town my tires corner quite well going up and down the mountain roads.

How is A Michelin ltx m/s2 an aggressive all terrain tread? It's the most NON AGGRESSIVE tread if you ask me.. It is a nice tire but not aggressive looking at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924