Need help installing Pioneer DEH-44HD into 2004 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tweetyiniowa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hubby is trying to install my bday present(Pioneer DEH-44HD) into my 2004 Chevy Tahoe LS and it's been awhile since he's attempted this. lol We need to know a direct answer on the best/easiest place to put the power wire for the radio. I'm sitting in truck with him as we speak, so immediate answer would be EXTREMELY appreciated....but any answer would be just as appreciated! lol Thank you!!

NOTE: We have a Metra 99-2003 kit and a GM-4004 Wiring kit.

Last edited:

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should just be red wire to red wire for the ignition and yellow to yellow for constant 12v power if i understand your question

the red wire out of the back of the radio harness should connect to the red of the metra kit and yellow to yellow and shuold be the only power wires i know of anyways

OP
OP
T

tweetyiniowa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying! My husband has already tried what you said and it did nothing. No power to radio at all. So he tried connecting red power wire to orange, radio came on, but he blew a fuse or something and now he can't find the fuse that is blown.

Have any idea which fuse it might be and how many amps it is? lol

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not that i can think of, orange is the illumination, and as far as i know youre never spose to connect that one up cause it drains the battery, first fuse i would check is the little 10 amp one or whatever it is in the radio (if it even has one) but pull the harness out of the radio and see if there is a fuse there

and then double check that you have it grounded, no ground and it wont work

OP
OP
T

tweetyiniowa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah we tried the fuse in back of radio and it's fine. We plugged in the stock radio and it doesn't work now either.

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if this was an old body style hoe i could tell you more about, im still not sure where the fuse panel inside the truck is, but maybe in the fuse relay under the dash look for radio or convenience or something along those lines

OP
OP
T

tweetyiniowa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok good news...found blown fuse...under my hood! lmao Thankfully there is a wife to read car manual. lol Hubby is all about the older cars too. He hates the newer vehicles. To quote "too many d**n wires!" lol Thanks for your help so far...greatly appreciated. Might have to start from the beginning and try it again.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Ok...we need a power source that turns on and off with ignition. The yellow is a constant so it never shuts off. Do you know what that wire would be?

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should be the red wire, if not, you can extend the wire from the back of the radio harness and run it to the fuse box either inside the truck or under the hood and just basically shove it into a fuse that controls something that is only on when the vehicle is turned on

thats what me and my brother did in his 05 colorado, but we spliced everything in without a harness

OP
OP
T

tweetyiniowa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok, good news...we figured the red wire out. we put it in the ignition fuse. NOW...lol....one more question. How do we get the 10 minute shut off delay after we've turned off vehicle, but don't open the doors. Do you know which fuse slot that would be?

BTW thank you soooo very much! You've been amazing. Everything you've told us to do has been correct, we were just slow on understanding it. lol

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no idea which fuse that is, but no problem, i like helping on anything like this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenan