Need engine wiring harness advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitro498

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Getting ready to install a rebuilt engine in a 2007 Tahoe. Found the wiring harness damaged. Options are a good harness or splicing a new piece into existing harness. I have found a local harness from a 2009 Tahoe. What do I need to watch out for? Note- this part of the harness is the end. See pics for details:F4B1AD07-03FD-4F5B-B00A-6BAA9BED0F82.jpeg5DBD0530-F2AD-407A-B6CC-DBEF739B1593.jpeg

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would prefer an uncut harness..

The damage doesn't look like fire, but that it was physically cut or pulled apart? Happen during engine removal? If there are concerns other wires are smushed or pulled on, I'd be looking at how hard it is to replace. Especially if you already have another harness..

If a mouse chewed through it, and it's all on the end, and a pain to replace the whole harness.. no reason splicing it won't work?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install a rebuilt engine in a 2007 Tahoe. Found the wiring harness damaged. Options are a good harness or splicing a new piece into existing harness. I have found a local harness from a 2009 Tahoe. What do I need to watch out for? Note- this part of the harness is the end. See pics for details:View attachment 396471View attachment 396472

What part of the harness is that? An '07 and '09 would be quite different, depending on what part it is. I'm pretty familiar with the engine part of the harnesses but those look a bit foreign to me, like transmission connections.

How are your soldering skills? If the '09 harness does indeed match the damaged areas of your '07 harness, I'd say to cut the plugs from the '09 with enough wiring to replace the damage on the '07. A good solder and heat shrink will be fine. Just repairing the broken circuits in your original can be questionable since the damage was caused by being pulled. Some wires could be broken inside the insulation or partially pulled from the plugs and not seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DB1337

Latest posts