Need Advice: '03 Z71 rebuild vs '15/'16 new

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BU-Z71

BU-Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spent around $2500 on a gm crate tranny on my 02 z-71 pickup installed when the motor blows im gonna put a crate motor and most likely do it myself to save labor cost so whats a crate 5.3 going for these days ??? I spent about $3000 for the crate 350 plus misc. gaskets and other related parts when i did a motor swap in my old 98 z-71 so i figure about the same for a 5.3 maybe a little more ?? So i expect to have much less than $10,000 invested between motor and tranny when all is said and done, $15,000 for new motor and tranny sounds high to me

After I posted I started calling some places where I live. One place that has gotten a lot of reviews would do a whole engine swap out (crate) as well as the water pump and clean out the radiator for under $10k--so much less than I had originally thought.

I could put in another $1k or 2 and upgrade the sound/audio too.

Sounds like those in this group are confirming for me what I was already leaning toward--rebuild when it comes to it.

If anyone is familiar with the Atlanta area, let me know of places to look at.

Thanks all

Ridculous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the swap it is better. I swapped out all 6.0 for a 6.7 and love it. It's my wife's DD and still has a nice muscle car rumble to it.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way i see it is the resale value is crap and would probably only be enough to pay the tax, registration fees, and maybe a few must have items we all buy when we get a new ride then take the new truck cost and you'll be shocked at how much its gonna cost you to ride out of the dealership brand new, suddenly freshening up what you already have starts to look pretty good, i bet if you did your home work you could get a crate motor and tranny for $10,000 or less installed then maybe a few more thousand to upgrade the stereo and freshen the interior up will have you looking really good

Black4x4

Reaction score
I agree with you on liking the NBS tahoes over the newer models. I plan on keeping my 02 as long as possible. I'd fix up the one you know you like.

Brian_smith06

Reaction score
I have an 04 z71 and have no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon. It currently has 155k on it and is still going strong. Been having some issue with it overheating lately though but other than that its been typical maintenance hear and there. I plan to run it until 300k if it'll let me.

Luckily my dad has a tow lot and happens to have some spare parts for me. One of which is a completely rebuilt transmission before the vehicle was totaled. Think the guy may have put 1k on it after the rebuild?

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with what most have said. Fix it up and keep it. If you don't like the looks of hte new ones why spend 50k+ on something you don't like looking at?!?!

Fast LT1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im in the same boat as you. Mine only has 117k on it, but it's getting to the point where something breaks a week. I went and looked at new tahoes yesterday, and to get the equivalent package as my z71 it would run me about $64k. I can't swallow that kind of payment for a new car, its absurd. I'm to the point where i almost won't buy a new gm anymore. My wife drives an 08 Yukon Denali xl, fully loaded, every option, we bought new in 2008 for $46k. Went back in 2013 to buy her a new one and they were about $62,000. In 5 years what justifies a 18k price increase for all the same options with a different transmission????? My dealer told me, bailout. Had to pay it back somehow.

For now i'll keep my hoe, just put in a tranny for $1300. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I already bought a short block from salvage for $400. and will have the bottom half rebuilt, and when mine goes ill just put it in my hoe with my current top end, with a few mods, like rocker rollers and an intake. I'l probably buy a low mileage 2004-06 yukon and drive both, and maintenance one while i drive the other, still cheaper than a new one.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP I'm new here but in with these guys. If I had 40k saved up the last thing I would is buy a new Tahoe that you don't like the looks of. New engine, tranny, have the tcase looked at and rebuild if needed. Same with front and rear diffs. New carpet and seat covers if those worn out and new shocks to help return the new feel. I have done this before with a mustang I used to own. I loved it once done but the thing made the most difference to the feel was bushings. New bushings and shocks!

Do the swap it is better. I swapped out all 6.0 for a 6.7 and love it. It's my wife's DD and still has a nice muscle car rumble to it.

Not to hijack but you swapped in a 6.7? From what? Lol I'm new to the Chevy side and loving it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparkybuilt63