My Differential is clicking and screeching

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, looking for help with Pinion Bearing removal and install.
Has anyone rebuilt there G80? Looking for some insight!

The diff is screeching periodically when backing up. Fluid level OK. The most unerving sound it is making would be the clicking or ticking. Happening only when accelerating. (bearing failure, broken dislodged rollers?)

I've yet to pull the cover off and actually have a look. Due to its continual and on going "proper" operation it would hint at just a bad bearing. When the squealing starts it sounds as if to originate from the front of the diff housing. Possibly Pinion Bearing/Seal

I'd love to have a rebuild kit ready to go and remove the diff. on a Saturday morning and overhaul it, even if I spent all weekend!! To me it beats replacing it with used or new.

Can anyone reccomend an overhaul manual?
What special tools will I require? Press? Seal drivers? etc.
Recommended rebuild kit?

I assume I need to deal with this issue ASAP as it will lead to major parts if left unattended too long! I want to get this fixed up!

Please leave your .2 cents!!

Thank-you TYF,
Ryan

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ruled out the u-joints? I`ve had bad joints that creaked or made a ticking noise and also had some squealers.

If that`s not the problem i`d just pull the diff cover and take a look and see what you find. Hopefully your locker didn`t break.

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locker is still functional. I had it on a lift whole changing tires and engaged the locker multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in that case i`d check the u-joints. I`ve never heard a diff screeching. It`s tough to do that when the parts are covered in gear oil unless of course there`s no oil in there.

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might say it "squeals", not screeches.

When it was on the lift I rotated a rear wheel by hand until the G-80 locked. When it locked the rear driveshaft started spinning and the squealing began.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

I also open the differential fill hole and reached in with my little fingers. I think it's 5/8" down. It's dark black/grey!

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might say it "squeals", not screeches.

When it was on the lift I rotated a rear wheel by hand until the G-80 locked. When it locked the rear driveshaft started spinning and the squealing began.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

I also open the differential fill hole and reached in with my little fingers. I think it's 5/8" down. It's dark black/grey!

Looks like someone is having their rear fingered.

Need a rebuild. Dark graphite fluid is bad news.

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here rebuilt their G80 differential? Looking for some insight!

Thanks.

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just need the right tools, a good magnetic base for the dial indicator to check the backlash. A press for the bearings, a highly accurate Tq wrench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlazinMilk