Moog vs Mevotech... Hub bearings? Need reviews Asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 GMC Yukon Denali Awd.
I've always been a Moog guy for certain parts but I'm on the rock auto site and am about to order hubs but I see that the mevotech is heavy duty and the Moog is standard replacement. So I'm wondering does that mean that its better than the Moog parts. Ive never heard of them until now and never seen anybody use em. Anybody got any personal experience with them?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Moog: newer part quality seems to be meh. Maybe they were fine 15 years ago, but today, I'm unimpressed. Bushings like sway bar links are honestly too stiff. Ball joints are too tight and will cause steering abnormalities. I'm not sure if their wheel bearings are any better, but last time I got some press-in bearings from them - they were seriously under-greased.

That said, I've also had some great parts from them. My best guess is they probably have a lot of manufacturing contracts out that, unfortunately, have varying quality.

Second hand experience: buddy put some mevotech wheel bearings on his jeep and they were fried in a year. He replaced with timken and ran it for 2.5 years up until the day he retired it to the scrap heap.

Honestly, for wheel bearings, Timken / SKF are the gold standard. Both companies have manufacturing contracts in the HD / Commercial sectors.

OP
OP
qthor

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Moog: newer part quality seems to be meh. Maybe they were fine 15 years ago, but today, I'm unimpressed. Bushings like sway bar links are honestly too stiff. Ball joints are too tight and will cause steering abnormalities. I'm not sure if their wheel bearings are any better, but last time I got some press-in bearings from them - they were seriously under-greased.

That said, I've also had some great parts from them. My best guess is they probably have a lot of manufacturing contracts out that, unfortunately, have varying quality.

Second hand experience: buddy put some mevotech wheel bearings on his jeep and they were fried in a year. He replaced with timken and ran it for 2.5 years up until the day he retired it to the scrap heap.

Honestly, for wheel bearings, Timken / SKF are the gold standard. Both companies have manufacturing contracts in the HD / Commercial sectors.
Thank for the information. Ive never used timken or skf and didn't know that. Yeah mevotech has me raising an eyebrow looking at it. Is this the general consensus among the forum members now? I just read a post and someone else said timken also. They didn't give any reason as to why like you did though. Appreciate that.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And Mevotech has multiple quality stages also.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my entire front end is Moog, and it took a bit to get a normal feeling on the steering. So far the front end has been fine 4 years later. As far as wheel bearings I thought about getting the moogs when I did my front end, but in the end I just threw the extra bones and got timkens. They've also been run for 4 years fine to this day.

Shatcher0428

Reaction score
I just replaced mine, get the timken, found a pair off ebay brand new $180.00 for both. cannot beat them I literally asked the same question a month a go. I am glad I went with timken!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shoot anymore you can just get oem off ebay, amazon or rockauto for pretty dam cheap comparatively
here is the oem acdelco $124.00 from carid on ebay, last one's I bought were oem and were clearly stamped skf (they produce parts for acdelco as well as others)

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
shoot anymore you can just get oem off ebay, amazon or rockauto for pretty dam cheap comparatively
here is the oem acdelco $124.00 from carid on ebay, last one's I bought were oem and were clearly stamped skf (they produce parts for acdelco as well as others)
Plus $40 to ship.

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just used the Moog on my 2013. They seemed to be good quality from RockAuto. Truck has been running fine

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always go with Timken or ACDelco OE Equipment with wheel bearings. Every time I've strayed away from that I've gotten burned so I'll not do that ever again. Just my $.02 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667