Mirror…Mirror or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

So I got my 2004 Tahoe Z71’s cooling system working again and drove to Kroger. When I came out (first drive on new cooling system) someone had hit my drivers side mirror! :biggun:The glass was out of it pretty much and the motors were broken out of their casing. I tried to repair the motors with glue and sourced glass locally – but in the end – its shot.

So I ordered two new mirrors form 1Aauto.com and they are on their way. It was only like 15 more bucks to order two.

Here is the question, how difficult is it to get the door panels off? :boxed: I have watched videos, looks easy enough, but they don’t show reassembly and all those connectors look like they could break so easy. Any tips or tricks? I will probably replace both mirrors at the same time for looks and also, the truck has 166k on it and who knows when the passenger side might get give out.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really too difficult. Just take your time, make sure you get those initial screws and body plugs, door handle trim ring,etc.. out before you start yanking on the panel up and out. Of course the power door locks and window will need to be unclipped.

Been a while since I pulled mine off, but you should be able to access everything you need with regards to the mirror behind the triangular sail panel on the A pillar. If someone else can remember better, please chime in. There are 3 bolts and it will pull right off. I just cannot remember if the actual plug, now that I think about it, may be behind the door panel down close the main cluster of door switches. Does that match up with what you have seen online? @S1nemesis1s

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really too difficult. Just take your time, make sure you get those initial screws and body plugs, door handle trim ring,etc.. out before you start yanking on the panel up and out. Of course the power door locks and window will need to be unclipped.

Been a while since I pulled mine off, but you should be able to access everything you need with regards to the mirror behind the triangular sail panel on the A pillar. If someone else can remember better, please chime in. There are 3 bolts and it will pull right off. I just cannot remember if the actual plug, now that I think about it, may be behind the door panel down close the main cluster of door switches. Does that match up with what you have seen online? @S1nemesis1s

Yes it does match up with what I am seeing - thank you @Fosscore , it seems like on the pre 2004 models you could just pull the a piller thingy and the wires were right there. BUUUUT in 2004 they moved it down into the panel.

I really don't want to pull these things off. I watched the very helpful video on 1aauto.com and they did help me, but it is SO much to take off. I don't want to break any clips or any of the wiring clips for my stuff. I am wondering if I can remove the panel and "artfully," hold it up while unplugging and plugging it in.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH and I forgot to mention there are a blue million mirrors!!! I am hoping I got the right ones. They had them excluding the LT but with offroad package, etc, etc, etc, etc. LOL The guy was very helpful but in the end, we took a best guess off of what I did not see on the dash sticker, and what my mirrors looks like (textured, manual fold, heat only.) I still cannot believe this happened on its first outing. I might pull the panels tonight and just wait on the parts...

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. That's why I wasn't sure. My 06 is sometimes different than the videos online as they tend to show the 02 or 03 models and the 05-06 models had slight changes as well as trim levels are slightly different. Just take your time, check the screws and go slow. There is some play on that main wiring harness for the windows/doors, but enough to pull the clips. If it doesn't budge check again. Good luck. Any more questions, please ask.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I posted this below in the exterior forum by accident, not sure how to delete it:

@Fosscore
I chatted with GM and I also used an online VIN decoder on my car. It says my 2004 Tahoe came with power folding mirrors with the turn signals and the ground illum.

My mirrors are basic. I am replacing one because someone hit my drivers side one. All I have is wires for the motors and two wires for the heater part.

Is it possible my truck came with just the basic mirrors? Both mirrors look to be stock to the car and never off. I don't see any controls on the inside that would fold the mirrors in either. (What would the control look like?) So I am little confused? Also mine seem to manually fold.

I ask because I ordered mine from 1aauto and they said if I did have the "off road package" that the mirrors I ordered would not work. The mirrors I have are textured as well, just like the basic heated ones I ordered.

I am just confused, could some options been dropped?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have good questions.
My 06 is an LS so I am on the low to no options scale compared even to the LT.

To compare everything on my truck was textured black plastic, the mirrors are manual fold and no heat. Just three bolts and wiring harness for power tilt of the mirrors but not heated and no option for power fold either.

I got lucky wth leather and a bench but no digital climate control or Bose system and 4.8 vs 5.3. The trims vary by years and with the options so much even within the same model year.

Really hard to tell as each truck seems to different sometimes as things may have been add ons at the time of purchase.

Not sure how else to guide you but I understand your frustrations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You lose good questions.
My 06 is an LS so I am on the no low to no options scale compared even to the LT.

To compare everything on my truck was textured black plastic, the mirrors are manual fold and no heat. Just three bolts and wiring harness for power tilt of the mirrors but not heated and no option for power fold either.

I got lucky wth leather and a bench but no digital climate control or Bose system and 4.8 vs 5.3. The trims vary by years and with the options so much even within the same model year.

Really hard to tell as each truck seems to different sometimes as things may have been add one at the time of purchase.

Not sure how else to guide you but I understand your frustrations.

Exactly @Fosscore ! Its so frustrating! Btw your trucks are beautiful! I looked my mirrors over very good and I did not see any other wires than those to control the motors for the mirror and the two heat leads - also no folding button inside. I did not have a 6 cd changer in dash, it was a dvd player for the rear that was dead. The must have opted out of the expensive mirrors or someone replaced both and then aged them lmao!

I guess I will wait and see what shows up from 1aauto.com and report back, hopefully it will be with two newly installed mirrors that work.

My truck is kind of a rescue in a way. I got it for a good price but it has some issues. The seats are a 6 out of 10. The drivers seat is very worn, the carpet probably needs replacing, along with the headliner. I am going to clean it up really good though and see what I am working with. Right now I am just trying to get the basics (and some extras) done. My front bumper, top cap, and grill are painted to match, Z71 but they are in bad shape. The bumper is beat up and was rust patched with tape and paint - also paint is flecked off all of it. I have a new bumper (chrome), new top cover, (black), and a new grill (plastic chrome), that I am going to install. I know it takes away from the Z71 status to do this, but these parts were cheap and look great.

My truck is a work in progress, I think my wife is getting very tired of me working on it all the time. She keeps saying its going to be a '17 when I am done because I am replacing so much. I am just fixing it up so its safe, comfortable, and reliable....and looks bada$$. I really want to do an HD hood too...but I am unsure...we shall see.

eohat

In Torque We Trust
Reaction score
One other thing to check is if your inside rear view mirror has the night time auto-dim option (look in your glove box for RPO code DR2). If so you may want to get the auto-dim glass in your driver’s side mirror too; it receives the signal to dim from the rear view mirror.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly @Fosscore ! Its so frustrating! Btw your trucks are beautiful! I looked my mirrors over very good and I did not see any other wires than those to control the motors for the mirror and the two heat leads - also no folding button inside. I did not have a 6 cd changer in dash, it was a dvd player for the rear that was dead. The must have opted out of the expensive mirrors or someone replaced both and then aged them lmao!

I guess I will wait and see what shows up from 1aauto.com and report back, hopefully it will be with two newly installed mirrors that work.

My truck is kind of a rescue in a way. I got it for a good price but it has some issues. The seats are a 6 out of 10. The drivers seat is very worn, the carpet probably needs replacing, along with the headliner. I am going to clean it up really good though and see what I am working with. Right now I am just trying to get the basics (and some extras) done. My front bumper, top cap, and grill are painted to match, Z71 but they are in bad shape. The bumper is beat up and was rust patched with tape and paint - also paint is flecked off all of it. I have a new bumper (chrome), new top cover, (black), and a new grill (plastic chrome), that I am going to install. I know it takes away from the Z71 status to do this, but these parts were cheap and look great.

My truck is a work in progress, I think my wife is getting very tired of me working on it all the time. She keeps saying its going to be a '17 when I am done because I am replacing so much. I am just fixing it up so its safe, comfortable, and reliable....and looks bada$$. I really want to do an HD hood too...but I am unsure...we shall see.

Thx sir, but I dug myself a hole by getting the Suburban. Now two trucks vying for my detail attention and mods options...lol My wife gives me grief too, so I just up really early sometimes to do the truck stuff...lol Just keep on picking away at the bad stuff and make your priority list. Making sure it is running and safe comes first then the mods thereafter. The HD hood is a unicorn...haha it is out there and if you find one, jump on it, even if you have to hold onto it or rock it rat rod style for a while. Driver's seat is a $160 eBay order and 1 hour of your time. Carpet and headliner best to do at once since you have to rip the interior out anyways or just take the carpet out and give it a serious pressure clean. It won't be new, but you will be surprised how clean it will come, plus you can wipe down or sound deaden the interior if you are so inclined. I did not put down mat at the time, but changing the carpet and headliner out made a world of difference. The wife even commented on it the other day. Good luck moving forward. @S1nemesis1s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe