Mileage Thread (00-06)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read on another forum that an oil analysis will also show if coolant is in the oil. I might pop for that from Blackstone to avoid the disassembly.

I have a Blackstone Labs container full of oil that has been sitting on my counter, ready to ship, for the last week. I need to get off my duff and send it in. I'm very curious to see how my 134k mile motor is doing. Outward appearances are fine, but my OCD takes over and I wonder what is happening inside that I don't know about yet. Hopefully Blackstone can put my mind at ease.

Last edited:

offrdr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Blackstone Labs container full of oil that has been sitting on my counter, ready to ship, for the last week. I need to get off my duff and send it in. I'm very curious to see how my 144k mile motor is doing. Outward appearances are fine, but my OCD takes over and I wonder what is happening inside that I don't know about yet. Hopefully Blackstone can put my mind at ease.

agreed on your previous message to me. i am checking everything. are you sending in your oil to be analyzed?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed on your previous message to me. i am checking everything. are you sending in your oil to be analyzed?

Got my analysis back. They said I had a much higher than normal silicon content, but nothing to worry about. I also had lead content that was "on the high side of the normal range", but still nothing to worry about.

It made me feel good - there was absolutely zero evidence of any water or coolant mixing in with the oil, and that tells me the motor is still buttoned up very tight.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my analysis back. They said I had a much higher than normal silicon content, but nothing to worry about. I also had lead content that was "on the high side of the normal range", but still nothing to worry about.

It made me feel good - there was absolutely zero evidence of any water or coolant mixing in with the oil, and that tells me the motor is still buttoned up very tight.

I thought coolant contained (sp)silicon? Did they have any insight into what would give higher than normal silicon and lead readings?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought coolant contained (sp)silicon? Did they have any insight into what would give higher than normal silicon and lead readings?

I have no idea, other than what they put in what I'm calling the "layman explanation section".

Here is the comment section in full:

The only thing high enough to mark was silicon, which could show abrasive dirt getting past the air filter, or maybe it's from a harmless sealer or lube. Check the air filtration system, just to make sure all is well. Wear metals look pretty good, although it is worth noting that lead is at the top of the average range, so we are seeing more bearing wear than normal, but not a problematic amount. Just watch oil pressure to be safe. No fuel, coolant, or water was found and the low insolubles show very good oil filtration. Check back next time to build wear trends.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Now that I think back, I did remove the intake and clean the throttle body a few months ago. Perhaps the silicon got in there while I was spraying and scrubbing?

offrdr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
good news. too bad they don't give you just a little more detailed info. do they give you an actual particulates sheet or anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19