Mid pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone link me to any different mid pipe options for a 1996 Tahoe 2dr 4x4?

Truck just threw a p0430 (cat on bank 2 below threshhold) - luckily a month after passing smog - so I'm in need of replacing the mid pipe.

I previously have had a 1997 Sierra RCSB and it blew apart the factory cat, and then the OE replacement ($700!!) a year later. I'm not looking to repeat this ridiculous cat yearly replacement cost with my new to me tahoe that I just rebuilt the engine on.

On that truck I gutted the old y-pipe and ran that for 99% of the time and swapped on a good catted y-pipe when I had to test for smog. Can I buy an off the shelf o/r Y pipe for my truck? I'll just install some magnaflo CARB legal cats onto the stock y-pipe and use that for smog when I need to in the future.

OP
OP
B

Blind

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can you have a muffler shop just make you one?

LOL not in CA, I can't even have a muffler shop weld in replacement cats to the stock y-pipe, they can only sell and install OE cats as a complete mid pipe bolt in unit to the stock location on any 1996 and newer cars by CA law, or face a $10k fine if caught.

to install magnaflo cats I have to cut out the stock ones and install them myself with walker/dynomax lap joint band clamps, which is what I had to do for the longtube setup on my harley truck, not a big deal at all and seals perfectly even at my ~500hp level with that truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blind

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
like to avoid the $550+ shipping for one of those, I can get a pair of magnaflow 2.5" cats in the same case size for ~$130 and just cut out the old and clamp these in myself.

are there really no o/r y-pipe options? The local junkyards can't sell mid pipes either, they destroy them before the cars are out in the yard, so I can't easily source a used mid-pipe to have a spare.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Uh, that cali setup is supposed to be a y-pipe bolt on from manifolds to muffler complete with flanges and bungholes. This seems like what you wanted other then the price. Perhaps I missed something. If you go your other route and the tech decides to look under the vehicle what do you think is going to happen?

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the magnaflow Y pipe and cats. I had blown out 3 cats before that and was sick of it, no problems since and a great direct bolt on.

OP
OP
B

Blind

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the magnaflow Y pipe and cats. I had blown out 3 cats before that and was sick of it, no problems since and a great direct bolt on.
how long have you had it?

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/31005/10002/-1?parentProductId=758633

This is the only bolt-on kit that I know of that doesn't include cats
perfect, thank you! I always forget to check jegs, I'm used to ordering from summit as I get orders in 2 days from them with the basic shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigburb3500