May have made a mistake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phottomatt

Reaction score
I took my 2017 yukon XL in for brakes, they said the "air suspension is shot", they thought the air bag might be leaking because the pump kept coming on. I had been hearing the air pump running a lot more than normal so I knew it might be a problem. Here's where I may have screwed up, I asked them to disconnect the pump from power so that it doesn't burn up before i get it fixed.
Is this going to be a problem? I plan on getting it fixed soon either way.

OP
OP
phottomatt

phottomatt

Reaction score
Should I ditch the air shocks and convert all 4 to regular coil overs?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my 2017 yukon XL in for brakes, they said the "air suspension is shot", they thought the air bag might be leaking because the pump kept coming on. I had been hearing the air pump running a lot more than normal so I knew it might be a problem. Here's where I may have screwed up, I asked them to disconnect the pump from power so that it doesn't burn up before i get it fixed.
Years ago I had a bad rear, so I pulled the fuse and replaced the shock with Rock auto part a few weeks later.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your air shocks and compressor are wear items, just like any suspension component. What do you do with your Yukon? The auto level feature does a great job of keeping you’re vehicle level when towing. You did buy a vehicle with a premium suspension, and it seems like a majority of folks that I’ve seen here that think the air compressor and air shocks are too expensive to replace and swap them out end up not being happy with the results.

I, for one, would keep the auto level system intact and replace the components. Not having the compressor powered up will not hurt anything other than let the rear sag a little more than normal.

OP
OP
phottomatt

phottomatt

Reaction score
Your air shocks and compressor are wear items, just like any suspension component. What do you do with your Yukon? The auto level feature does a great job of keeping you’re vehicle level when towing. You did buy a vehicle with a premium suspension, and it seems like a majority of folks that I’ve seen here that think the air compressor and air shocks are too expensive to replace and swap them out end up not being happy with the results.

I, for one, would keep the auto level system intact and replace the components. Not having the compressor powered up will not hurt anything other than let the rear sag a little more than normal.
I would prefer to keep the air shocks, we do a lot of road trips and pack it pretty full, couple hundred pounds in the back. I put 5k miles on it since September and plan on towing with it in the next year. Just wondered what everyone thought. I'll replace the air shocks and while it's there maybe have them throw on a 2.5" leveling kit . Glad to hear it will be ok for a week without the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz