Marioski's 2007 Avalanche LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Marioski

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I took the Avy in for its oil change and look over before I head out for the roadtrip. Looks like the passenger side cv boot decided to call it a career and start heading for retirement. Had grease oozing out and it was starting to get on the control arms already. Having a new shaft put in right now.

chevyguy_72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I took the Avy in for its oil change and look over before I head out for the roadtrip. Looks like the passenger side cv boot decided to call it a career and start heading for retirement. Had grease oozing out and it was starting to get on the control arms already. Having a new shaft put in right now.

That sucks... :sad72:

OP
OP
Marioski

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got myself a new desktop background picture! My Avy in avalanche country crossing the continental divide at 11,990 feet. Lets just say my truck does not like this high altitude stuff and steep grades.

IMG_0208-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Marioski

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch out for the avalanche.....lol.

Lovely

From my CB Radio.

LOL Too funny!

WOW beautiful picture man!!

@Lee - I see what you did there ;)

Thanks Felix. Couldn't miss that opportunity up.

Also put up two short videos (trimmed them down cause my internet coverage sucks out here) of the Avalanche going down from the Continental Divide and then navigating tunnels thru Glenwood Canyon

http://youtu.be/enSQnVBZ_UU

http://youtu.be/SFF0R44Db8g

OP
OP
Marioski

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn.. No one has been on the Avy forums for a while. Time to post up. I've been lurking and busy with other projects. The Mustang, car detailing on the side, moving, a few break downs on the AVY. Finally sitting at work bored so I figured it's time to post up.

Sort after my Colorado trip the front end starting squeaking worse then a teen age girl. So after getting a ridiculous quote from a shop to repair it (they diagnosed it as upper control arm bushings) I decided to do EVERYTHING at once. So I placed an order for a few parts
-Moog Upper control arms
-Moog outer tie rods
(I used Moog as they have grease zerk fittings)
-OEM GM aluminum lower control arms with bushings and a ball joint (time saver.. didn't feel like pressing the old ball joint out)
-OEM GM sway bar bushings
-OEM GM sway bar end links
-NEW drive axles (one was replaced pre Colorado.. did the other one)

IMG_6014-L.jpg

IMG_6017-L.jpg

The one and only snag I ran into is that with my awesome brute force I snapped BOTH forward upper control arm bolts. Okay they were frozen inside the shaft of the OEM UCA and just sheared off. Some grade 8 bolts were used as a temporary fixed while I ordered replacements thru my local dealership.

IMG_6019-L.jpg

Now lets fast forward to end of May / early June. All of a sudden I am developing some weird ass vibration thats coming from the front. My first logical thought, wheel hubs. So of course I run to the store and order up some brand new MOOG wheel hubs

IMG_6447-L.jpg

Glad I did cause this is what I found when I removed the old one - a burnt thru and overheated ABS line which tells me the hub was running hot.

IMG_6452-L.jpg

HOWEVER.. That did not fix my vibration or noise. At this point I have new hubs and new cv joints. I craw under the car and notice one of the cv joints has grease splatter on time. Oh oh.. it's new (under lifetime warranty). I also noticed the inner axle stub shaft (drivers side) is wobbling around like crazy. After placing a few calls to some driveline shops, I have found out that these 9.25 GM IFS units are prone to failure and mine is probably starting to fail. Out it came

IMG_6446-L.jpg

It actually took about an hour to remove and I was surprised how easy it was. It was also an hour to install and with two jacks it's a one man job. My turn around time was 2 days at the shop and $600. It was fully rebuilt with all new bearings, seals, etc. The ring and pinion was fine as I caught it in time. What failed was the adjuster on the drivers side the locks the gear in place and adjusts the play. Basically the ring gear and carrier were starting to wobble around inside the case. Here's how much crap was inside the oil when I remove the drain plug

IMG_6448-L.jpg

So as it stands now, my entire front end is completely rebuild other then the driveshaft u joints. Hell I'm thinking about doing those just for good measure.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering. No humming... no nose... no vibrations... I'm one happy camper now.

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... you're getting close to a new drivetrain... I'll be PMing you when it's time to change mine. How would you like a "vacation" to Florida? :pepper:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE