Manual trans swap unpopular?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally am sick and tired of rowing the gears in my cummins with 6spd manual BUT....I am also not a fan of having a weak trans. After reading multiple threads on the issue of new rebuilds failing quickly because they can't handle extra power...the thought of a swap comes to mind. I didn't think that hard about it until I heard that you can easily swap in a NV4500 and a shift kit like this! What say ye?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I personally am sick and tired of rowing the gears in my cummins with 6spd manual BUT....I am also not a fan of having a weak trans. After reading multiple threads on the issue of new rebuilds failing quickly because they can't handle extra power...the thought of a swap comes to mind. I didn't think that hard about it until I heard that you can easily swap in a NV4500 and a shift kit like this! What say ye?

Pretty damn cool. I think there's a member on here who did the swap.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If a NV4500 is an easy swap then a NV5600 would probably go easily as well.

Personally I have thought about a stick conversion but I always assumed it would shift like a school bus which I don’t want. I also absolutely HATE the 4L60e. It shifts good but the ratios are terrible IMO. When I get on it from a light it doesn’t shift out of first until 45ish. Also when it locks in OD and I hit a slight incline it comes out of lock and shortly there after downshifts. I blame this mostly on the 5.3 lack of power to move a suburban. I prefer an automatic in bigger vehicles typically though. I have been emailing a few companies about doing a 6L90 or even the 8L90 swap . I would convert the 6.0 over to a 58x reluctor ring and four position cam before I swap it in. That’s what’s needed to control a 6 or 8 speed auto with the older LS ecm according to what I’ve read. Dimensionally it’ll fit just need a custom cross member. Anyway do the swap and let us know. You have my attention

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What say ye?

My wife's main complaint with our Yukon is that it's an automatic. It's the first automatic car we've owned since I taught her to drive stick when we were dating 22 years ago.

Maybe I can sell her on this idea when our 4L65e gives up one day.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember watching the forum member here, but I can't remember his name.
He had to do some serious fabrication for the shift linkage. But looks very slick in the video above. I doubt I have the ambition any more. But the manual swap in my Cummins was always a dream.

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been emailing a few companies about doing a 6L90 or even the 8L90 swap.

This would be awesome but I thought those transmissions needed a seperate ecu that doesn't get along well with older electronics? I am also really liking the idea of this swap. I think the gearing in the NV4500 would be ideal for rpm's below 2000 at 65mph in these trucks. The problem is that the Tahoe is going to become my daily driver and I will need to wait to get my hands on another back up vehicle to drive as I will be selling my Ram in a few weeks. The Tahoe is CHERRY with only 75k miles on it and I want to be careful to choose the best mods for long term use. I also read somewhere that the swap will also play well with the auto 4wd so that is interesting too!

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's main complaint with our Yukon is that it's an automatic. It's the first automatic car we've owned since I taught her to drive stick when we were dating 22 years ago.

Maybe I can sell her on this idea when our 4L65e gives up one day.

You know....I normally do not make decisions based on appearance but this set up looks pretty cool too!

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember watching the forum member here, but I can't remember his name.
He had to do some serious fabrication for the shift linkage. But looks very slick in the video above. I doubt I have the ambition any more. But the manual swap in my Cummins was always a dream.

It's actually not that bad at all! This youtube poster has another video showing exactly how he built the setup and gives dimensions as well!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would this be so foreign to do when the 2001-2006 Sierra and Silverado 2500HD and 3500s as well as the 2007 Classics ran this transmission from the factory? The 6.0 and earlier Duramax engines used the MW3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mich2024

Latest posts