Manual trans swap unpopular?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have any questions or want pictures of something let me know. I've got 2 5 speed gmt800s one with the trans out and going back in this coming week. I'd love to help.

Actually ive got 2 questions lol. im going with a nv3500 and im ordering flywheel,clutch,slave cylinder all for an 06 4.8L because i know the flywheel takes up the .400 difference so i dont have to run a spacer and what i cant get an answer on is does the slave need a spacer behind with that setup. and 2nd question are you using a remote shifter setup?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No spacer behind the slave that I can remember but I will check Monday or tuesday when I replace the slave on one of my trucks.

I am looking to put a small spacer on the master cylinder rod to make shifting my Tahoe easier as for some reason it takes more pedal travel to shift than my Silverado.

No remote shifter setup. I have a Hurst in my Tahoe and a factory shifter in my silverado but Friday I ordered a hurst for the silvy as well. They just look fantastic and help with the shifting.

I know a guy that just went from an NV3500 to NV4500 and has a hurst nv3500 sitting on a shelf.

Is there a reason you decided NV3500? Do you have any future power goals or tow a lot?

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt want a low 1st like the 4500 and its more of a cruiser and not a hot rod but i do plan on a btr stage 2 at the most and i tow very little and nothing crazy heavy. And from my many hours of research on different transmission i have came to the conclusion if i haven't killed the 60e then i doubt ill hurt the 3500.

As for my big power i save it for my ls swapped 88 c1500 or the ls swapped astro lol. yes you read that right

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I agree with you the 3500 should be fine. Mine died simply from towing in overdrive. I should have known better but oh well it was already hurt when I bought the truck. Another buddy killed a fairly new (20k miles) nv3500 doing the same thing. So my thoughts are tow in 4th if you do decide to tow and you should be fine forever.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also you will need one of these to disconnect the clutch line quick disconnect. I tried using flat heads and a few other tricks but was just tearing up the plastic sleeve. Got this on Amazon for $25 or something like that worked effortlessly. 20200216_174144.jpg

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a few like them just one sided.Being a tech I've got a drawer full of them that come with some new slave cylinders over the years haha