Making my Yukon XL into an Urban Assault Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotdog.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats up guys, I have recently come into possession of a 2003 Yukon XL 1500 and I want to make it a little more interesting. De-soccer mom it if you will.

I am a total noob when it comes to this stuff, but I have a solid idea of what I'm looking for. I want this thing to be mean looking. Unfortunately I have to hold off on any real performance mods outside of lift/tires/suspension.

I basically want to know what you guys would do if you were to do this.

This is a truck that will be getting a lot of highway and city use, but I want it to be capable of getting off road when the time comes. Rugged is a word I would use.

I was thinking a 4 inch lift with 35's and then tackle spacing problems later, but I want to know what you guys would do!

I was also wondering what brand of lifts are higher quality than others because, like I said, I am super new to this stuff. I will be updating as the project comes along but thanks in advance!

A pic of the beast

Attachments

• IMG_4393.jpg
    IMG_4393.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
H

hotdog.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry! figured since it was a 4x4 forum that was expected.

Its a 4wd, Tell me where to look (besides the engine obviously) for what you mean by what stock gears. I know what the gears are, but I have no idea where I would find a brand name if thats what youre looking for. Its a 4 speed auto

Any other car specs just ask because like I said, I'm super new to all of this. This is my "project" truck

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your rpo codes in your glove box. Your gear ratio rpo code is in there. If you don't have 4.11s I would plan on regearing too. As for a lift, I think they are pretty much either level kit or 6" lift. Haven't seen anything in the 4" range except for 2wd guys. Browse through the lifted section, there are a ton of lifted trucks you can pick ideas or which lift from

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 Yukon XL 4X4 with Key lift

2.5 front Key lift and 2.5 rear Spacers 265-75-16 tires 31.5 inch tall.

I heard you can clear 33 inch tire with the correct rims with correct back spacing.

I would not go larger than 33 #1 Cost any tire bigger than 33 start getting expensive fast, #2 our going to put a lot stress on the stock Axles, #3 the extra weight of real big tire takes more to turn and stop there go's you're MPG and with big tires the SVV will be hard to get stopped. #4 if you start going big most likely you're going to need to re-gear both diff"s That get expensive, #5 Our Transmission are not built for it.

I still get the same MPG with the 31.5 inch tires I have the 4:10 stock gears and mostly do HWY driving and In town I don't check It I don't want to get depressed LOL I sure it the same as before also.

But when next time I need tires I step up to 33 Inch tires.

Attachments

• IMG_20150719_131422943_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150719_131422943_HDR.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hotdog.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading, would a 3 inch suspension lift with 1.5 inch keys be possible? That way I could lower it if I wanted but I could also have the extra height.

Basically, I want this thing to be as big and mean as possible without completely murdering my fuel efficiency and ride quality. As I said, its gonna get a lot of highway and city miles, but I find it silly for it to be lifted without the offroad capability. Six inches just seems like overkill to me for my purposes but again, I'm not experienced with this so if you could school me on "why" I might need 6 inches vs 4 or less that would be awesome. Give me 5 min to check the gear ratios

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key in front and rear spacers are cheap and easy to install I used the shock extenders for now I want to get a set of Bilsetin shocks but there are around $380.00 a set.

The larger lifts n get to be expensive they are nice but do really need one.

With a smaller lift you still get in to underground cover parking you can park it in your garage it easier to get in and out of less chance to roll over due being top heavy.

More flashy you SUV looks more of a target it going to be for thieves to single out.

Each there own but a small lift works for me.

And when you take friends and family members in you're lifted SUV the old and the real young are going to have problems getting out with 6 inch lift and 38 inch tires Plus the Gallons per mile.

I've been doing some reading, would a 3 inch suspension lift with 1.5 inch keys be possible? That way I could lower it if I wanted but I could also have the extra height.

Basically, I want this thing to be as big and mean as possible without completely murdering my fuel efficiency and ride quality. As I said, its gonna get a lot of highway and city miles, but I find it silly for it to be lifted without the offroad capability. Six inches just seems like overkill to me for my purposes but again, I'm not experienced with this so if you could school me on "why" I might need 6 inches vs 4 or less that would be awesome. Give me 5 min to check the gear ratios

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Here a link for 4 inch lift look at the cost.
http://www.truckspring.com/products...ft-Kit-Without-Shock-Absorbers__TC-14962.aspx

A E-Bay key lift with spacers you can piece together for $130.00 or less you can get 2.5 to 3 inch lift out them but if crank the keys up you're ride going to be rougher.

OP
OP
H

hotdog.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've been looking around and I think keys and spacers will do the trick for what I want.

Questions:

What potential problems would lifting with keys produce?

What is the maximum height I could get out of keys without cranking torsion bars, and how much would adding a small amount of cranking effect performance/ride?

What size tire do you recommend running? I kind of have my heart set on 35's but if they are going to cause serious mechanical issues down the road obviously that might be the wrong decision.

Again, I want this thing to be as beastly as possible without seriously sacrificing MPG and still riding nicely. What, within reason, is possible before I cross that gap?

Also planning on changing the color. I'm thinking plasti-dip matte gray or black, and doing some accents to the fenders, probably de-chroming it. matte black wheels will probably be incorporated as well.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I have also seen a lot of people discussing after market parts to make key lifts perform better (bilsteins etc.)

Could you guys recommend some other mods that I could make to make this type of lift better?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mpg and big tires don't mix. It's one or the other...

With keys and spacers your looking at 33s. May still rub if you go with a really wide wheel and tire, or a big offset.

I'm on 32's at stock height, no rubbing. If you were a 2wd you could do spindles and keys and clear 35s.

The problem with keys and 4x4 is it starts to put your front cv joints in a bind, so be careful with that.

OP
OP
H

hotdog.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm... I feel like youre subtly telling me to do suspension...

just curious, why couldnt I put a 3 inch suspension lift on there?

also, if I did that, could I turn up the torsion keys after putting in a 3"lift?

I want this thing relatively high up, not rubbing, and relatively durable... I am willing to spend money on quality

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21