Magnaflow cat-back cabin drone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
It drones. I knew it would, and when it's just me in the truck with the windows down and the radio blaring running 75 down the tollroad I'm getting exactly what I paid for.

The problem is, when it's me, our 3 year old and my wife in the back with the windows up, radio down, and AC on, running 75 down the tollway I get cabin drone BIG TIME. And it annoys my passengers.

What's the best route to eliminate the drone? Is there a performance loss if I get an inline resonator installed? And, is it even possible on my Tahoe setup? I do't remember there being any straight pipes on that whole kit.

thanks in advance.

Bh

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I was looking at the same muffler that comes in that kit. How bad is the drone, just a lil annoying or is it ridiculously loud? And RPM is your engine running at 75mph?

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Annoying. But, like I said... I like the sound. I usually run with the windows down (even in TX right now, 105 yesterday) and with the radio up.

What I don't like is when it goes from my hot rod to a family wagon. No loud radio, windows up, AC cranking... and the kids in the back.

When I am on the highway going under 70, it's barely noticeable. It sounds like road noise. Getting up to 70, it's pretty friggin loud. And cruising above 70 it's as if you had two people in the back of the truck that just hummed all the time... that is what it sounds like.

I am considering one of these over the rear axle, if it will fit.
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Vibrant/Exhaust/Exhaust_Resonators//10996

I do like the rumble tho. Even with the drone I'd recommend the setup. Especially the bolt in one. 30 min tops install time.

BH

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried flowmaster but the drone is still there then flo pro. much better. I would try thet one flo pro muffler

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the same boat as you. When I'm alone in my truck, its basically my speed demon. But its a family wagon when the wife and kids are along. I bet that would get annoying on long road trips with the cruise set on 74 or 75, which is usually what I cruise the highway at. It probly wont be too bad, since I usually have the radio on when driving, even with kids in the truck, just not really loud, but loud enough that I have to turn it down a tad to have a conversation with someone in the back seats.

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 12279 (5x8x24) and its not loud at all goin down the road at 70+..

What you can do to to help the drone out is add a bullet muffler in front of the muffler..Magnaflow sells several short bullet style muflers that many have used to fight drone...Really any short race muffler would do the trick :)

Here's a short magnaflow

Last edited:
OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Andrew, I'll look into that. I'm not sure there's room enough in front of the muffler because of the curve it takes from the cats to the muffler. Do you think it would work after the muffler as well?

have you ever seen these, or do you think they'd work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-692300/
BH

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boom313