Low beam HID's not working properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Knobz

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I think I'm gonna get a new switch that way I can turn the headlights ON/OFF manually cuz when I turn them on/off they will start working but it's a huge hassle since my switch is broken so I have to turn the car off every time. So annoying lol

OP
OP
Knobz

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In with an update:

I still can't figure out what is wrong with my headlights. I did a few different scenario tests and still left stumped and don't know what's wrong.

So to do the testing a family member has a Tahoe and I pulled parts from it to test on my Yukon.

Test 1: I Took the main dash/headlight switch from the Tahoe and put it in my Yukon to test the ON/OFF function. My headlights still did not turn off when the switch was in off position. They stay ON and when I put the switch at running lights only the headlights stay ON then also. So I then thought alright maybe the HID's are messings things up so then I took the stock halogen bulbs out of the Tahoe and put them in my Yukon. And my headlights still will not turn OFF with the halogen bulbs from the Tahoe. I then tested my dash switch in the Tahoe, worked perfectly fine.

Test 2: I installed a relay kit that boosts turn ON power for the HID's. That did not fix the problem.

Test 3: I installed a new relay in the fuse box for the low beam headlights. That did not fix the problem.

I am out of solutions to try. Does anyone have any ideas?

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you did the test using your relatives switch was it night time or day time?

You are currently using the 4HI mod?

OP
OP
Knobz

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you did the test using your relatives switch was it night time or day time?

You are currently using the 4HI mod?

I did the tests in the dusk and it was triggering the the headlights to come on auto.

And I do have a 4 Hi mod. Mines is done a lil differently. I used a relay, tapped the high beam wire so when Hi's are on the relay sends power to the lows to keep them on while the Hi's are on.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd unhook your 4 hi mod and see if that helps! Also, look at the actual headlight harness plugs that you have hooked up to the ballasts, I had one making a lame connection inside of one of the plugs and actually caused the plug to melt all up! You could tell it wasn't giving the bulb full power because it was a regular bulb, so I don't think you would see the same result with a HID bulb, except it might make it work on and off!! Just some ideas!!

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I agree with Chris. Sounds like it's time to undo what you've done and see if you can just get back to normal functionality. If you do, figure out what step went wrong and try to correct from there.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the tests in the dusk and it was triggering the the headlights to come on auto.

And I do have a 4 Hi mod. Mines is done a lil differently. I used a relay, tapped the high beam wire so when Hi's are on the relay sends power to the lows to keep them on while the Hi's are on.

If auto-headlights are enabled because of low light then the manual selector switch doesn't turn anything off. At least thats how my 02 burb works.

To turn off head lights at night time you'd have to hit the dome control button 4 times (small button about 1/4'' in diameter, left of the manual selector switch). You will hear chime and then all lights will turn off. By all lights I mean all lights, interior and exterior. Then you can use the manual selector switch to turn on 2 light options. One (45degs): dash lights, fogs, running lights and I think interior as well. Two(90degs): Headlights. I think this is accurate..not 100%

-----------
Without reading back too far I'm going to suggest something that I do for my HIDs because they usually only one bulb ignites upon start-up.

I often use the e-brake because I park on inclined driveway. When you start truck with ebrake engaged no lights come on until you release. You know this and it doesnt work because of the 4HI method you used.

The second option is to start truck, no ebrake. Truck turns on, one HID fires. I then depress the dome override button/dome control button 4 times and as I mentioned above a chime sounds and all lights turn off. Then I used the manual selector switch to turn on necessary lighting be it running lights, fogs or head lights. This overrides the auto-headlight function so perhaps its call auto-headlight override button, I dont know...WHATEVER man. You can disable this by depressing the button again four times and chime sounds or it is automatically disabled once truck turns off.

I'm suggesting you get that selector switch from your fam again and swap them and the use the auto-headlight override button. Then use the manual selector switch to turn on your head lights. That is the 90 degree position. soo 2 clicks.

This makes me think of your current broken manual selector switch. Are you SURE its broken or just unaware of its proper function? For it to work during night time you need to disable auto-headlights by depressing said button FOUR TIMES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ybZDCh1s7U

Okay...Just trying to help!! ahah Hopefully that makes sense.

I also dont think it would be a bad idea to disconnect the 4HI mod temporarily while you trouble shoot this. Just undo wire connected to your lows or something, I dont know exactly how you wired it but you dont have to cut the entire thing out.

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
If auto-headlights are enabled because of low light then the manual selector switch doesn't turn anything off. At least thats how my 02 burb works.

Mine do. Just turn the selector all the way to the left and it'll turn them off, regardless of how light or dark it is. It springs back to the auto position, but the lights stay off unless you then turn them on manually or you stop and start the truck.

It's the opposite if I want to force the headlights on during daylight. Turn it all the way right and they come on.

OP
OP
Knobz

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

To turn off head lights at night time you'd have to hit the dome control button 4 times (small button about 1/4'' in diameter, left of the manual selector switch). You will hear chime and then all lights will turn off. By all lights I mean all lights, interior and exterior. Then you can use the manual selector switch to turn on 2 light options. One (45degs): dash lights, fogs, running lights and I think interior as well. Two(90degs): Headlights. I think this is accurate..not 100%

-----------
Without reading back too far I'm going to suggest something that I do for my HIDs because they usually only one bulb ignites upon start-up.

I often use the e-brake because I park on inclined driveway. When you start truck with ebrake engaged no lights come on until you release. You know this and it doesnt work because of the 4HI method you used.

The second option is to start truck, no ebrake. Truck turns on, one HID fires. I then depress the dome override button/dome control button 4 times and as I mentioned above a chime sounds and all lights turn off. Then I used the manual selector switch to turn on necessary lighting be it running lights, fogs or head lights. This overrides the auto-headlight function so perhaps its call auto-headlight override button, I dont know...WHATEVER man. You can disable this by depressing the button again four times and chime sounds or it is automatically disabled once truck turns off.

I'm suggesting you get that selector switch from your fam again and swap them and the use the auto-headlight override button. Then use the manual selector switch to turn on your head lights. That is the 90 degree position. soo 2 clicks.

This makes me think of your current broken manual selector switch. Are you SURE its broken or just unaware of its proper function? For it to work during night time you need to disable auto-headlights by depressing said button FOUR TIMES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ybZDCh1s7U

Okay...Just trying to help!! ahah Hopefully that makes sense.

I also dont think it would be a bad idea to disconnect the 4HI mod temporarily while you trouble shoot this. Just undo wire connected to your lows or something, I dont know exactly how you wired it but you dont have to cut the entire thing out.

Hey thanks dude. That's some super good info right there. I had no idea about pressing the button 4 times overrides all lights. Deff gonna try that. Hopefully that works.

I have disconnected my 4Hi mod while I'm trouble shooting this.

I'm gonna try the override method and I'll report back soon.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Mine do. Just turn the selector all the way to the left and it'll turn them off, regardless of how light or dark it is. It springs back to the auto position, but the lights stay off unless you then turn them on manually or you stop and start the truck.

It's the opposite if I want to force the headlights on during daylight. Turn it all the way right and they come on.

That right there that you described. Turning it to the left and it springing back that is supposed to turn them off regardless like you were saying.. That doesn't work on mine.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Alright so I went outside and did some tests.

Test 1 my car (the Yukon that's not working):
I tried pressing the dome button 4 times and it didn't do anything. Keep in mind I do have my 4 Hi mod disconnected and I put a towel over the dash sensor so it thinks it's dark so the headlights would Auto-turn on. All the lights stayed on after pressing dome button 4 times. And turning the switch to the left (off feature where it springs back) does not work in my car.

Test 2 my family members Tahoe that is totally stock:
I proceeded to do the same test by covering the dash sensor so it thinks it's dark and then pressed the dome button 4 times. I didn't hear any chimes nor did the lights turn off. I then proceeded to try turning the switch to the left to turn off the lights and they turn off like they're supposed to.

So something is wrong with my car... And my dash/headlight switch was not broken and is currently in the Tahoe and is functioning correctly.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, all these button positions are confusing me. My truck does not spring back at any position.

Try it at night for sure or something? I don't know anymore...its all up to you! You can do it. Do you have a multi-meter or volt-meter? Use it to double check for correct voltage at all the different components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper