LOUD clunk turning in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK what you are testing is exactly what you are not supposed to do! Make hard turns on dry pavement. search up youtube under south main auto. Erick O had a S-10 with the same exact symptoms. Turned out to be a messed up transfer case.
Hmmm, that seems likely to be my problem. I will try the break stand test. How hard is it to replace the chain in the transfer case, and how much is it going to cost?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully its the xfer case and not the diff xfer cases are cheaper to rebuild and replace
from previous experience rebuilding a new process transfer case wasnt nearly as much of a pain in the ass as rebuilding a differential
the first time i rebuilt a differential i think i over torqued 3 crush bearings before i got it right

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully its the xfer case and not the diff xfer cases are cheaper to rebuild and replace
from previous experience rebuilding a new process transfer case wasnt nearly as much of a pain in the ass as rebuilding a differential
the first time i rebuilt a differential i think i over torqued 3 crush bearings before i got it right

Definitely the transfer case. Did a power brake and it made the noise, so seems like the chain is slipping. I'm going to try to find a used one cheap, but if I have to I may try to rebuild it, or just live without 4wd. Thanks for all the help!

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know you couldave still possible broken off a tooth off the pinion gear and any time either one ofthe wheels gets some resitance or you attempt a brake stand it hits that missing tooth and goes clunk

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know you couldave still possible broken off a tooth off the pinion gear and any time either one ofthe wheels gets some resitance or you attempt a brake stand it hits that missing tooth and goes clunk

Front driveshaft doesn't turn, so that pretty much confirms it is in the transfer case

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its not difficult are you somewhat saavy when it comes to this stuf?
theres quite a few youtube videos that show you how as well
also id recomend enlisting the help of an extra set of hands

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinsbritton

Latest posts